davidyeh

Original signature required by IRS after electronic filing

After filing federal tax return electronically this year, I received a letter from IRS requesting original signature. They printed out my Form 1040 and mailed to me for original signature. I have been filing using Turbo Taxes for many years now. This is the first time, I have to mailed in my original signature. 

Not sure if this is a mistake on IRS' part.

After you file

Is there a letter number (such as LTR xxxx) or form number on the letter?     Does it tell you why they are asking for that?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
davidyeh

After you file

The letter from IRS is Form 3531. The first box is the only one checked. it says my return lacks a valid original signature.

After you file

Usually the 3531 for is for mailed returns that lack a signature, not for e-filed returns.    There should be a IRS phone number on the form to call for more information.     This might be an IRS error.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**