rsd
Level 2

My federal return is fine. How do I amend my Michigan part-year resident state return, specifically Schedule NR interest and dividends, Line 6, columns B and C?

Also, where do I enter my husband's date of death for the Michigan return?
RobertG
Expert Alumni

After you file

Amending a 2019, or 2018 state return is very similar to amending a prior-year federal return. Here are some tips:

• If you're amending a 2019, or 2018 return you originally prepared in TurboTax Online, you can amend it online by signing in to TurboTax.
  • TurboTax state programs vary in amendment instructions, but you'll either find the amendment option at the beginning or close to the end.
  • If the change originates on the federal return (for example, you need to add or change your W-2 information), amend your federal return before amending your state. This carries the information over into your state return.

To change the date of death for the Michigan return, change it for the federal return.  You do this by going to My info and editing his personal information. If his SSN is the primary SSN, look for 'I'm preparing this return for ____, who has passed away.'  

If his SSN is not the primary SSN, look for "My spouse passed away before filing this return."

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rsd
Level 2

After you file

Hi, Thank you for your tips. I went through the amend return process through TurboTax Online, but it didn't have a way for me to allocate my dividend and interest income between Michigan and Other States, which is needed for Schedule NR. I was able to allocate all my other various income items though. Weird. I moved from Florida to Michigan last April, so I had to allocate the income. The program also kept assuming I was amending my Federal 1040 as well and that was not needed. Thanks for trying to help. I'm just going to manually prepare and mail in an amended Michigan return. Thanks.