How to show e-file submit date and time

In TurboTax 2018 is there any way to see whether or not we actually clicked the e-file send button?

I used TurboTax 2018 for MacOS last year in April. 

A few months ago IRS sent me a letter saying they did not receive my 2018 tax return. I'm pretty sure I e-filed my tax to IRS because that's what I usually do. But, It's possible I mailed a printout since I had to send the check anyway. 

Now, when I try to check e-file status in TurboTax 2018 for Mac it just says "E-filing Closed for the Season." There is no useful information about whether or not I did e-file last year. 

Shouldn't there be some way to save and display in the app the date and time when we actually clicked to send e-file submission? And, it could show some kind of tracking number or something?  It should be a small amount of data stored in the .tax2018 file. This seems like it could be a simple feature for future version of TurboTax.

Thanks

After you file

Did the IRS cash the check you say you mailed?   That would be your only proof that you paid.

Do you still have your emails from last year?

When you e-file your federal return you will receive two emails from TurboTax.  The first one will say that your return was submitted.  The second email will tell you if your federal return was accepted or rejected.  If you e-filed a state return, there will be a third email to tell you if the state accepted or rejected your state return.

And....I am also on a Mac.  I can open up a 2018 return and click e-file status and see if a return was accepted.  Did you try that?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

After you file

Hi, thanks xmasbaby0

Yeah, they cashed the check and the IRS letter said they have my payment on credit. So, not worried about the money. Just trying to figure out if e-file didn't work right.

I didn't get any e-file confirmation emails from TurboTax in those days after doing taxes. I mailed in the state tax. 

Yeah, I tried looking at e-file status in the app. When I try to check e-file status in TurboTax 2018 for Mac the first screen says, "You haven't E-Filed Yet." and "Think you've already filed? click Continue.." When I click continue it says, "E-filing Closed for the Season."   No info about what happened when I e-filed in April 2019.

Also, after I e-filing federal I go back to do print outs so I can make PDFs and print for state tax return for mailing. If I go back to the beginning of the File a Return section to print out does that cause TurboTax to hide or forget my e-filing info? If we go back to do print outs after e-filing could it maybe cause the app to show "You haven't E-Filed Yet."?

Thanks for replying. 

After you file

It sounds like you did not e-file.  It seems you printed and mailed both federal and state.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

After you file

Thanks! 

I found a friend who used TT last year too and she was able to open her .tax2018 file. You're right. When she goes to the e-file status section is shows the e-file confirmation message.  

After you file

Glad you got it figured out.