LeeroyJ15
Returning Member

Corona relief Question

I Was an independent on my 2018 tax returns and haven't submitted my 2019 returns where I was a dependent. Will I still get the aid based off my most recently submitted returns of 2018?

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

After you file

If the person(s) who were able to claim you as a dependent in 2019 already filed their 2019 return claiming you as a dependent, then you will not receive the stimulus--even if you hold off on filing your own 2019 return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
LeeroyJ15
Returning Member

After you file

I see there is an option to amend tax returns on turbtax's site. My parent has never had to amend their taxes before is there a step by step guide that can be followed? Also my parent got a $612 credit for me in the state of Illinois does that mean when I am removed as a dependent in her amended tax return she will owe that back in back taxes? and if so will she have to pay that back immediately or will they take it from her stimulus payment? Also Can I immediately file my 2019 return as an independent or do I need to wait until the irs receives the amended form?

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

After you file

If you filed, it is like dropping it into a mailbox - you cannot get it back.

You'll have to wait until your return is either accepted or rejected.

• If rejected, you can make any necessary changes.
  • If accepted, you'll need to amend your return
  • To avoid unnecessary delays, do not amend until your original return has been fully processed.  You will need to print and mail the amendment.  
  • Allow 8-12 weeks for processing.

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending.

You can check the status of your amended return here, but allow 3 weeks after filing for it to show up.

LeeroyJ15
Returning Member

After you file

Will I be able to file independently while her returns are amending?

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

After you file

Yes, you can correctly file your 2019 tax return in TurboTax.  Keep in mind though, since you have already been claimed on someone's return as a dependent, your return may be rejected when electronically filed.  You may have to file this return by printing it and mailing it to the IRS.  When you print your return, directions on how to and where to mail your return will print out as well.