Coronavirus Stimulus Payment

When I filed my tax return I don't remember checking it but when i look at my copy the "someone can claim me as a dependent" is checked but my parents never claimed me as a dependent. Will I still be able to get the stimulus? 

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

After you file

It is not likely. The IRS is making stimulus payments based on the information on your return and not necessarily matching it up with other filings to confirm. Per the IRS, you are not eligible if:

You can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return. For example, this would include a child, student or older dependent who can be claimed on a parent’s return.

It does not state that you are claimed, but rather that you are can be claimed on someone else's return.

Economic Impact Payments

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

After you file

So, does that mean I won't be getting any from the stimulus?

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

After you file

It depends. If you truly could be claimed as a dependent, then no, the stimulus would not be available. If you do not qualify as their dependent, then you could file an amended return to correct this input.

Please check your Form 1040 on line 9. If it is any number other than $12,200, then you were filed as a dependent. For the stimulus payment, if the person was claimed or could be claimed as a dependent, they are not eligible.

Confirm with 2019 Publication 501 Dependents, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information  on page 4 and page 11 to determine if you are or are not qualified to be a dependent. For a simpler list, click: Who can I claim as a dependent?

If you need to file an amended return, yes, TurboTax can help. Depending on your income level, you may be able to file for free. Check out this article: What's the difference between IRS Free File Program and Free Edition? to see if you qualify for the Free File program. 

Otherwise, click the link to go to the TurboTax website. Click sign in to create your account.

In either case, for instructions on how to file an amended return that was filed elsewhere, see this article with step by step instructions to convert to TurboTax for filing an amended return.

You will pay once (if applicable) for the amended return at the point of selecting paper filing (as opposed to e-filing) the original return. 

Then, trigger the amendment following the article here: How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed. I always recommend sending the return(s) via certified mail so that it is traced.

In the meantime, you can visit the following links for the most recent updates:

IRS Coronavirus Tax ReliefTurboTax

Corona Virus Tax Center Updates

@ChocoCrunchy

After you file

Thank you! I probably need to file an amendment cause I have more than 12k income. last question how would it affect my refund if I proceed to amend my info? I really appreciate your help! 

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

After you file

If you amend, the amended return must be printed and mailed. It cannot be efiled. This will likely not be processed prior to the IRS issuing the stimulus payments. 

The effect of your refund may not change. If you received a deduction of $12,200 on line 9 of Form 1040, you have already taken the maximum standard deduction for single filers. However, you may be eligible for some tax credits that were disallowed when you indicated you were claimed as a dependent.

Should you have to amend, follow the steps below:

1. Log into your TurboTax account
  2. Choose the tax year that you wish to amend
  3. Click Amend
  4. Make any necessary changes

Keep in mind that when you are amending, the refund tracker monitors the difference from your original filing to the amended return. It does not include any original refund or balance due. If you are claiming any previously unclaimed credits, you will see the difference as an additional refund amount. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"