Stimulus Direct Deposit: Paid TurboTax With My Refund. Does IRS Have MY Bank Account Info?

I’ve seen this asked numerous times with no straight answers... how will “Pay With My Refund” affect my stimulus payment via direct deposit? The return on TurboTax shows my bank account, but my refund came via deposit from Santa Barbara TPG.  So what account number was ACTUALLY filed with the IRS? The Santa Barbara TPG site doesn’t address this scenario directly. Can TurboTax employees please answer this question?

After you file

Santa Barbara Bank will not be playing a role depositing stimulus money. Wen the tool comes up on the irs website u have to put in new direct deposit info or u will get a paper check

KatrinaB48
Expert Alumni

After you file

If you received your refund via direct deposit after the fees were withheld then the IRS should have your direct deposit information. However, the IRS has not provided guidance on what types of financial accounts stimulus payments will be directly deposited into. Please view this IRS link for more information about the IRS Get My Payment application that will be available in mid-April. You can use this tool to check the status of your stimulus payment and enter your direct deposit information if necessary.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

After you file

Thanks for your answer. But in this scenario I wonder how the IRS can have the correct account info, since it is first deposited with the intermediary (Santa Barbara TPG) to deduct fees. Maybe there is a mechanism established for this with the IRS?

After you file

By the way, this is not a question that requires awaiting IRS clarification. It is about the process established by Intuit’s partner, Santa Barbara TPG.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

After you file

It still depends on the IRS because of exactly what you said: "Maybe there is a mechanism established for this with the IRS?" This is what we are still waiting for IRS guidance about. We will have more information once the government finalizes the details.

In the meantime, you can visit the following links for the most recent updates:

IRS Coronavirus Tax Relief

TurboTax Corona Virus Tax Center Updates

@JohnA-NJ

After you file

Thank you very much for your answer @KathrynG3.  So is that another way of saying, “Nope, the IRS definitely doesn’t have your bank account info, so we’re trying to figure out what to do about it.”?  If so, is Intuit working with the IRS directly to update these filings without the customer needing to take any further action?

After you file

I should add, many thanks to Intuit’s support staff during these chaotic times. I’m sure they are also “drinking from the fire hose” of rapidly changing information and doing their best to provide answers.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

After you file

You're welcome! Well, it still depends on guidance not yet given, but definitely forthcoming by the IRS. As of now, the best thing is to watch for updates from both the IRS and from TurboTax. Thank you for trusting TurboTax for guidance. It is well placed!

@JohnA-NJ

After you file

Untrue

After you file

@Tanta , what is untrue?

After you file

Did you get a state DD?  If you did, it didn’t touch SBTG. Same will be done with Stimulus Check. The only way you will receive a paper check is if SBTG deposit was bounced back to them and they had to issue you a paper check or their own debit card ( Wal-Mart card) to you with your funds. 

After you file

@Tanta ,  the "Pay With My Refund" direct deposit option only involves your Federal refund.  As such, this has nothing to do with state refunds which are paid directly by state treasuries. 

After you file

If you paid TT with your refund, you allowed TT to collect payment by SBTG. They did this and then sent your refund to the TT card. Your state refund was also deposited however it did not go to SBTG, similarly, even if you used TT and SBTG, your stimulus check will be deposited to your TT card and has nothing to do with SBTG bank. 

After you file

@Tanta  To be clear, I  do NOT have a TurboTax card (aka Green Dot, which is the parent company of SBTPG).   

I am only talking about bank account direct deposits, like Chase, B of A, Wells Fargo, etc.  Please read the prior posts in this thread to get a better understanding of the concern.