uncbird

Where or how do I REMOVE passive loss carryover from prior years. Depreciation expense was overstated on prior returns which have been amended.

I have have always used TurboTax in prior years and earlier this year I had to amend last three year returns to correct overstated depreciation expense on rental property (it was input twice for one property).  By amending my prior returns, it eliminated any carryover passive losses available for my 2018 return.  However, your program doesn't recognize such and it will not allow me to change the carryover loss figure on Schedule E worksheets or Form 8582.  I need to zero it out.  How can I get this done?  Thanks.

KrisD
Intuit Alumni

After you file

Type   NOL   into the search box to get to that section and edit. 

uncbird

After you file

It looked like it would work but did not.  I entered zero in the passive carryover losses field but it did not change anything.  Tax return still reflects a passive loss carryover in error which is reducing my reported rent income but which is incorrect.  Incorrect depreciation from prior year is still reflected in Schedule E and prior year unallowed losses on Form 8582 are still showing up which is offsetting my net rental income for this year.