Cactusflower
Returning Member

Direct Debit

I filed using direct debit for my payment. My TurboTax filing instructions show the amount, account number, etc. Yet when the filing was accepted by the IRS, TurboTax sent an email saying: 

Next step

All that's left to do now is mail your payment to the IRS along with your payment voucher (Form 1040-V).

Why wasn't the direct debit accepted and why do I now have to mail a payment?

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

After you file

Page one of your filing instructions, at the top of the first page, says what was posted to your return.  Did you set a date in the future?  If you did, you would not have made the payment yet.

The letter from TurboTax was simply a followup.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Cactusflower
Returning Member

After you file

The payment was set for April 1st. As of 4/13, the payment has not been made. And I still question why the email from TurboTax instructed me to mail in my payment and voucher if my Direct Debit was submitted to the IRS. Was the information not passed to the IRS?

KatrinaB48
Expert Alumni

After you file

Since it has been 7–10 days after your return has been accepted, you should call IRS e-file Payment Services at 1-888-353-4537 to check on the payment.

Cactusflower
Returning Member

After you file

My return was accepted on March 30, payment was to be made April 1. I have called the Payment Services, after a 45 minute wait, they have no record of the payment and referred me to the IRS. The IRS said there's a pandemic going, they don't have enough agents to take calls, so don't call them. So I am back to asking TurboTax - I submitted my direct debit info with my return, which I assume you forwarded to the IRS. However in the email you sent after the return was accepted, you said to mail my payment with a voucher. So which is it?

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

After you file

It can take a few days after your date for the funds to be withdrawn. Please keep in mind withdrawals won't happen during the weekend. Please refer to the information below for more payment details.

When will my tax payment go through? - Community