dkuprin

WRONG marital STATUS IN W2- FORM.

Hi, my wife got wrong w2- form. The employer put by the accident SINGLE status instead of MARRIED. My wife spoke to the employer but he didn't send her correct form. 

QUESTION

IRS doesn't answer the calls because of the virus. I know, that we have to submit FORM 4852. 

Can I EFILE the taxes with correct numbers and later send by a mail FORM 4852 ONLY?

Or

Should I send 2019's TAXES AND FORM 4852 by mail without efile?

thank you 

Stay safe and healthy. 

After you file

The status on the W-4 that is submitted to the employer for tax withholding is not relevant to the status on your tax return.

There is no reason to get a corrected W-2 if the wages and income taxes withheld and other tax data is correct.

Just enter the W-2 as received on your tax return that you are filing as Married Filing Jointly.

dkuprin

After you file

We COMPARED  paystubs where my wife's status MARRIED and SINGLE... She paid way more taxes in SINGLE paystubs...

After you file

@dkuprin wrote:

We COMPARED  paystubs where my wife's status MARRIED and SINGLE... She paid way more taxes in SINGLE paystubs...

Then you will be entering more tax payments on your tax return which will probably mean you will be receiving a larger tax refund.

However, if she has original tax stubs showing that she paid less taxes than is reported on her W-2, then you do have an issue.  

After you file

Yes that's ok.  Then she might get a refund on the tax return.  I'm married but at work I Claimed Single to have more withholding taken out.  It will all be reconciled on your tax return.  What you claim at work doesn't have to match your actual tax return.  The withholding is just an estimate to cover the tax on your total income.