I have e-filed my 2019 state and federal tax returns. I ended up owing money on my federal returns. I provide my account number and routing number along with my tax returns. The IRS (federal) used thi

See prior question
TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

After you file

Your question has been cut off. Please post again in the body of the message. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

After you file

I have e-filed my 2019 state and federal tax returns. I ended up owing money on my federal returns and my state NC owed me a return. I provided my account number and routing number along with my tax returns. The IRS (federal) used my information to electronically withdraw the amount that I owed in federal taxes (it was only $5). 

My question is, if they were able to use my banking information to take money out of my account, can they use it to deposit the stimulus money into my account? I read on Turbo Tax's site that if you owed money to the IRS, they would have to mail you a check instead of direct depositing the stimulus money.

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

After you file

If your banking information was on your 2019 tax return, the IRS will use that information to direct deposit your stimulus payment.  See the "How will the IRS know where to send my payment" question and response at this link.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

After you file

Problem is direct debit info is NOT listed on a form 1040 ... permission for the IRS to debit the card is sent for that one purpose only.   I have not seen any confirmation that they will use that DD info for the deposit of the stimulus check. 

In fact I believe they will not since the account you use to pay the IRS doesn't need to be your bank account and/or it could be a credit/debit card that is either not yours or will not accept an IRS deposit.  

In short it is currently unknown if this will happen or not ...  In my opinion :

ALL EVERYONE CAN TO IS WAIT AND HOPE FOR THE BEST .... if you have already filed a 2019 return there is nothing you can do until something happens no matter how much you wish and pray for a miracle ... there is no fairy godmother with a magic wand to help you now. 

If you get the DD in the next 2 weeks then you are done.  Be happy.

If you do not get the DD by the time the IRS finally opens the promised portal then you can update your information at that time.   

Follow this site for updates:

CORONAVIRUS TAX CENTER: 2020 STIMULUS

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus