Qualify for stimulus check?

Originally, when I filed my 2019 tax return, I stated that I can be claimed as a dependent. I later learned that I cannot be claimed, therefore my parents did not claim me on their 2019 tax return. I amended my taxes and changed my dependency status, but I am worried now that the IRS will not take my amended tax return into account for the stimulus check since it will not technically be processed before the stimulus checks go out. Will I still receive a stimulus check since my parents did not claim me but my original 2019 tax return is wrong? Is there a way to get around this or contact someone to receive the check if I do not receive it even though I qualify? 

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

After you file

Yes, you will get the check, but I expect it will be delayed.  Initially you will not qualify, but once your amended return is processed (8-10 weeks), you will qualify.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
GraceZ
Returning Member

After you file

I’m in a similar situation, but I did not amend my tax return to change my dependency status. I’m 21 and not a full time student, but still live at home, should I still have checked the box that I can be claimed as a dependent? Even though my parents did not claim me, will I still qualify for a check or should I amend my tax return? 

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

After you file

Here is criteria to allow your parents to claim you as a dependent.  It appears you pass tests 1 and 2.  If you also pass tests 3 and 4 then you "Can be claimed as a dependent" on your parent's return, even if they do not claim you. 

1. The person can't be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of any other taxpayer.

2. The person either (a) must be related to you in one of the ways listed under Relatives who don't have to live with you , or (b) must live with you all year as a member of your household (and your relationship must not violate local law).

3. The person's gross income for the year must be less than $4,200.

4. You must provide more than half of the person's total support for the year.

If you do not pass all the tests above then you have two options.  

1.  Amend your return to indicate that you "Cannot be claimed as a dependent".  Since your parents did not claim you they will not need to amend their return.  Once the amendment is processed you will be eligible for a stimulus payment this year. Be advised the IRS is currently not processing any paper returns and your amendment will need to be printed and mailed.  Thus there will be a delay processing.  

2.  Let the 2019 go as is.  Do not amend.  Wait and file your 2020 tax return next year and do not indicate that you can be claimed as a dependent. You will be eligible for the stimulus payment as part of that return on top of any tax refunds due to you for tax year 2020.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"