I owe the irs $1,900 and they gave me back my whole refund without taking what I owe them. How is this possible and what does it mean?

After you file

Owe them from when?  A prior year?

After you file

Yes I owe them from 2014

After you file

While it is tempting to let sleeping dogs lie, any past due taxes continue to accumulate interest and penalties.  You may wish to call the IRS (or set up an in person appointment) to discuss this

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc203.html

After you file

This is what I plan to do, but just find it extremely strange since everybody says that the IRS is very good at taking refunds to pay past debt owed to them

After you file

There is a time lag sometimes between when you file a return for a refund and the debt indicator being put onto your account ... so you just slipped thru the cracks.

Check with the IRS for the current balance due then pay it online to reduce the interest & penalties from accruing.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/finding-out-how-much-you-owe

https://www.irs.gov/payments

After you file

I'm hoping for this to happen as well I owe but I'm hoping there is someway I get my full refund. 

After you file

I hope I get this lucky I owe the irs like $2500... Would be great if I could slide this is for 2016...

kalebeau8

After you file

did you end up getting your refund? I owe about the same for three years ago and i am in an installment plan. 

After you file

Can someone PLEASE tell me it they have received their return? I owe $1300. One IRS rep stated I wouldn't be receiving my refund BECAUSE I owe...my refund would have been $8k...I owe 1300..??? So I call a Tax advocate,Turbo tax,and Offest Dept. Offset Dept has no nontax debts listed for me (loans, mortgage,credit cards). Turbo tax rep. Stated I should receive the remaining. Tax advocate said same...I'm very unsure due to the initial call to IRS I was told no. It didn't make sense

Why wouldnt the IRS just take what's owed and send me the rest?

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

After you file

This sounds like a case (unfortunately) where you just need to wait for the IRS to post the payment for what you owe ($1300) then the rest will be refunded.  The Taxpayer Advocate is your best source for getting the rest of the refund id there is a delay- but even they must wait a "reasonable" time (and reasonable for IRS is slow in real life).  The best I can say is wait a week and call again if you do not have your refund- as soon as the payment for the amount owed is posted, the refund will be issued.

@singlemom1982

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

After you file

@MaryK4  Your info is the most helpful I’ve seen to date. I have a old tax debt that has a date for 3/16/2020 and I’m owed a difference. My question is, does the IRS literally post the credit (Meaning satisfy the debt) on that date or could it be sooner? If it’s on that date, how long afterwards until my refund is released for DD?

KrisD15
Employee Tax Expert

After you file

The best advice is to speak with a Taxpayer Advocate. 

They have local offices, their services are free, and they work directly with the IRS (they are part of the IRS) so they can get answers more quickly than anyone else. 

Taxpayer Advocate

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

After you file

I’m still waiting on my taxes it’s around 8,000 and I owe 3,000 and it’s been over 5 weeks so I’m still waiting to even get something back and I hope I get the difference back at least! 
but yes the IRS probably read TV w wrong information when you called! Crossing my fingers things work out!!

After you file

Did u get your refund? Did they take out what u owe? I did direct deposit 2 weeks ago an about 2 weeks before filing i got a letter saying inowwd 3400. My refund got approved an there was no like tax topic 203 or offset notice under where i thought it would be? But it does say my refund was mailed. Which is weird cuz i put in the correct direct deposit info.