Nknight83

Federal return

I received my 2019 federal tax return today and it isn't for the amount that I was supposed to get back. How do I find out why money was taken out of my federal return?

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

After you file

Is it possible that you owe monies for any of the following?

• Past due child support;
  • Debts owed to a federal agency;
  • Unemployment debts owed to the state;
  • Past due federal student loans;
  • Unpaid state income tax.

If so, the Department of Treasury's Financial Management Service (FMS) can offset any unpaid federal or government debt against your refund without prior notice.

If this happens, you should get a letter from the government explaining why you didn't get the entire refund. You can also get this information by looking up your refund at the IRS Where's My Refund page. You can also call the following:

•  FMS at 1-800-304-3107 to find out if your refund was reduced because of an offset.
  • IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service at 1-877-777-4778 (or visit  www.irs.gov/advocate) if you feel your refund was reduced in error. The service is free.

Here is a link for some helpful information in regards to Garnishments.

If this is not the case, here are the steps to review your fees, while in TurboTax follow these steps:

• While in your Tax Home,
  • Scroll down to Tax Tools,
  • Select Tools,
  • Select My Fees.

To review your return in TurboTax follow these steps:

1. While in your Tax Home,
  2. Tax Tools on the left hand side of your screen,
  3. Select Tools,
  4. Select View Tax Summary,
  5. Select Preview my 1040 on the left hand side of your screen.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

After you file

I've noticed that I have no Federal tax return to date. I've been contacted by a firm stating they are a Collection agency for the Studen Loan Program and that I owe $25,000 on Two Student Loans. They have been taking my Federal Tax returns for well over 20 years now so I know they've been more than paid off by now. I called the Federal Student Loan Office and they told me that they are not having any of my Returns sent to them since one of the schools appears to be fraudulent. 

Collection Agencies have a tendency to "Cook the Books" once they have bought the Debt from the Government.

I am a 66 year old Senior Citizen who made $14K last year and my total Federal Return was only $1,700+

This now leaves me with a Zero Federal Return. What's up with that? Last four of my social is 1783. RSVP .