I forgot to put my W-2 in the envelope when i mailed my taxes. the only thing thats in there is my 1040 (540 for state, in separate envelope). can i just print and remail

when mailing my tax returns, i only put my 1040 and 540 in their respective envelopes and forgot to put the one thing they needed from me most, my W-2s. its been about 3 weeks since theyve been mailed. i was wondering, since i have a copy of my 1040 and 540 on my computer, couldnt i just reprint them and file correctly this time? i know that when the irs receives my letter with no W-2s in it, theyll send it back. but i wanted to know if it would be smarter to just refile instead of waiting x amount of weeks to get a useless letter back only to resend it. again, i have my W-2s on hand so it would be easy for me to just reprint my 1040 and 540 and file correctly. i just wanted to know if this is the right thing to do.

After you file

No.  Wait to hear from them.
DDollar
Expert Alumni

After you file

Do not re-mail your tax return.  What you should do is wait to see if the IRS contacts you and asks you to send a copy of your W-2.  They may or may not.  The information on your W-2 was also reported to the IRS, so if everything on yourreturn matches IRS records, they may process and never contact you. 

View solution in original post