Names

My step daughter has had the last name for her whole life and I been using on my taxes this Oct her name changed to her father's name I forgot to change it will this effect me 

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

After you file

If it does, your return will be rejected and be able to correct it.  Persons on a tax return are verified against what is on file with Social Security

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
malu

After you file

my last name is too long what I has to do it because that was the cause my return was reject, how ca I fix it??????

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

After you file

What is verified is the last 4 digits of your social security number and the first 4 letters of your last name, so your last name being too long would not cause a reject.

Persons on a tax return are verified against what is on file with Social Security.  Sometime people have two middle names or two last names.  You can try a different combination if this is the case.  Sometimes Social Security may only use one of the last names or may think part of the middle name is part of a last name.  Also verify you are using the right social security number and the correct date of birth.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"