HSA form

Im an idiot...so i filed my taxes and included my hsa contributions etc that is on my w2 but i finally got my 1099A i believe its called,saying i distributed 161.80<i only used my HSA once,and it was for emergency medication > 

Does my HSA administrator send that to the IRS or do I have to wait for a rejection and amend it citing the distribution?

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

After you file

If you filed, it is like dropping it into a mailbox - you cannot get it back.

You'll have wait until your return is either accepted or rejected.

• If rejected, you can make any necessary changes.
  • If accepted, you'll need to amend your return
  • To avoid unnecessary delays, do not amend until your original return has been fully processed.  You will need to print and mail the amendment.  
  • Allow 8-12 weeks for processing.

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending.

You can check the status of your amended return here, but allow 3 weeks after filing for it to show up.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

After you file

It said accepted...so should i wait till i get a physical notice in the mail,or find a tax expert in my town that can help me make an amendment??? I don't think deluxe will let me amend anything,at least not yet:(

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

After you file

No, you will be able to file an amendment yourself. 

It is easy to do, but it does take time. First, there is about a 2-3 week wait for the original filing to be accepted and any refund received. Then, you can amend.

Please see these directions for how to amend your return which includes a link to "make sure you really need to amend."

Your HSA contributions should have not had any tax effect for you since they were dollars contributed directly from your wages. Reporting an allowed distribution would also not have any tax consequence because you are in compliance with the health savings account rules.

The Form 1040X will be available February 12, 2020.