Amend 2019

How can I amend my 2019 tax return after filing? I was informed I am going to receive a 1095a form soon. Will my refund be affected? 

After you file

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you just e-filed, nor can you stop it.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox on the corner.

If you left out a W-2, or a dependent, or a 1099 etc…DO NOT change your return while it is pending.  The changes will go nowhere.

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and make the necessary changes to your tax return and re-submit your return.

If the IRS accepts your return, however, then you have to wait longer until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return and mail it in. You have to be able to work from that return exactly the way it was when it was e-filed originally.  You will need to use a form called a 1040X. You cannot e-file an amended return.  They have to be mailed, and it takes at least 2-4 months for the IRS to process an amended return.

Meanwhile, DO NOT go in and start changing anything on your return in the system, or you will make a mess for yourself.  Sit tight and wait until you see what the IRS does with the return you just e-filed

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

After you file

I did not e-file my return but was forced to use mail in. I have not yet mailed the return. Can I amend or correct my omission?

Patrickmhall

After you file

@patrickmhall wrote:

I did not e-file my return but was forced to use mail in. I have not yet mailed the return. Can I amend or correct my omission?

Patrickmhall

Sign onto your TurboTax online account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down and click on Add a State.  This will take you back to the 2019 online tax return where you can make your changes.

After you file

Can I use the 1040-X form from https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf ? or do I have to wait until it is available directly from TurboTax? 

After you file

Can I use the 1040-X form from https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf ? or do I have to wait until it is available directly from TurboTax? 

After you file

If you want to prepare the 1040X by hand you can do that.  If you mail it in before your original return is fully processed you risk confusing the IRS and delaying your refund.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

After you file

I actually already received both my federal and state refunds. I want to amend it because I forgot to add in my school's 1098-T form. Should I wait until the 2019 form is available from TurboTax? Would that be easier? 

After you file

Your choice.  But amending is no picnic.  If it were me, I would wait for the 1040X to use the software here.  Give it a week or two.  You have three years to amend.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

After you file

Besides, you'd have to compute Form 8863 by yourself and report the education credit amount (assuming you'd get one) not "just" add the 1098-T. 

@GeraldV

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

After you file

I think I am better off going to a CPA then. @KrisD15 

mccrummen11
Returning Member

After you file

I did electronically e-filed my 2019,  1099 and it was accepted, i am not getting a refund, i owe and i did not separate  personal and business mileage, 15000 mile mistake which is money i will owe IRS, i would think i need to take care of it ASAP, when i try to amend through Turbo Tax 2019 isn't available , please help!!

After you file

The 1040X becomes available later in February, so you have to wait for it.  If your return is still being processed now, it would not be a good idea to amend yet anyhow.  Sending in an amended return while they are still processing your original return could cause confusion that would delay your refund for months.

Check back later for the 1040X.   AFTER your return has been fully processed.

After you file

my taxes were excepted and approved on 01/31/20. I got a w2 in the mail the day after from a job i totally forgot about getting a w2 from. All my taxes have been approved and sent to me. I paid the extra amount to have turbo tax look over my documents and i efiled.  do i still need to amend my taxes? and if i do how can i do that?

thank you

After you file

@marymahaga wrote:

my taxes were excepted and approved on 01/31/20. I got a w2 in the mail the day after from a job i totally forgot about getting a w2 from. All my taxes have been approved and sent to me. I paid the extra amount to have turbo tax look over my documents and i efiled.  do i still need to amend my taxes? and if i do how can i do that?

thank you

An amended tax return, Form 1040X, can only be printed, signed, dated and mailed by you to the IRS, it cannot be e-filed. The IRS will take up to 4 months to process the amended tax return. Wait until you have received the tax refund or the taxes owed have been paid and processed by the IRS before amending the tax return.

On the Tax Home web page when the Form 1040X for amending a 2019 tax return becomes available there will be a link - Amend (change) return