I forgot a W2 and i already filed what do i do?

After you file

Do NOT change anything on the return that has been filed.  TurboTax will send you an email when the IRS either accepts or rejects the tax return.

If the IRS rejects the return you can add the W-2 and re-file.  If the IRS accepts the return, then you must wait for the tax refund or the taxes owed and paid to be processed.  You would then have to file an amended tax return, Form 1040X, to add the W-2 to the accepted tax return.  An amended federal tax return can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed.  The IRS will take 16 weeks or longer to process the amended tax return.

See this TurboTax support FAQ on amending a 2016 tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3061514-how-do-i-amend-change-or-correct-a-2016-return-with-turbot....

Carl
Level 15

After you file

Nothing at this time.

Already E-Filed and Need To Change

If you have already E-filed your tax return and need to make a change for any reason, then you have no choice but to wait until the IRS processes your E-filed return. If the IRS rejects your E-filed return, then you can just make the necessary changes and resubmit it.

If the IRS accepts your E-filed return, then you must WAIT until the IRS has processed your return. If you have a refund due your return is not processed until you have received your refund. If you owe taxes, your refund is not processed until you have paid those taxes and your payment has cleared your financial institution. Once processing is complete, you will need to file an amended return. You can not e-file an amended return. The IRS says you can’t. You have to print it, sign it (both the 1040 and 1040X) and physically mail it to the IRS.

If your E-Filed return is pending, and you change anything on your copy of your return, then you are guaranteed to have major issues with correcting or amending it later. So for your own sanity, do not touch anything until it’s time, as clarified above.

An amended return must be printed, signed and mailed. The IRS says so.

After you file

It’s been about 25 days since my return was accepted I did forget a small w2 but I was told to wait till my original processed, my question is how long would it take till I get that original return? 

Carl
Level 15

After you file

Truthfully, it'll take as long as it takes. On average, if you elected direct deposit of your refund to a bank account, it's 3-4 weeks. If you elected to pay your TurboTax fees out of your refund, it can take 6-8 weeks. If you elected to have your refund sent to you on some kind of debit-credit card, 6-8 weeks. But with this COVID stuff, nothing can be for sure.

All you can do is keep checking the IRS website at https://www.irs.gov/refunds to see what you may find there.

After you file

Thank you very much 

After you file

I forgot 2 W2s what do I do

After you file

@Bevbrian21 wrote:

I forgot 2 W2s what do I do

If the 2022 tax return is accepted you will have to amend the tax return to add the W-2.

You will have to wait for the IRS to either Accept or Reject your filed federal tax return.
If the return is rejected you can make the necessary changes and e-file again.
If the return is accepted you will have to amend your original tax return. An amended return, Form 1040-X, can only be printed and mailed to the IRS if the original tax return was not e-filed. The IRS will take up to 20 weeks or longer to process an amended tax return.

Before starting to amend the tax return, wait for the tax refund to be received or the taxes due to be paid and processed by the IRS.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-change-correct-return-a...

Choncieb

After you file

I forgot a W2 and I already filled what do I do

After you file

Scroll up and see answer right above your post.

After you file

My eFile federal was accepted but I have to mail in my state. Do I add it to state? Or keep it out and amend both later? 

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

After you file

I would amend it after both have processed.

If you want to make changes or add a document to a tax return that has already been submitted, you should follow these guidelines. 

• You must first wait until the initial return is completely processed. 
  • You will have to use the same TurboTax account that you used for the original tax return. 
  • Once you begin your amendment, you'll see your original return.  
  • The refund calculator will start new at $0 and only reflect the changes in the refund or tax due 
  • Only make changes to the areas of your return that need amending. 
  • You have three years from the date you filed your return or two years after you paid the tax due (whichever is later) to file an amendment 

Select your product below and follow the instructions. 

Amend TurboTax Online 

Amend TurboTax CD/Download 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"