What is the expected timeline for TurboTax 2018 updates for the H.R. 1865 extended tax provisions? (Signed 12/20/2019)

After you file

Awaiting on IRS instructions and approvals for all forms and schedules affected by the tax extenders.

After you file

Expect it to take 2 to 3 months at the earliest.  

After you file

Are you better off filing and amending later in that case?

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

After you file

When you sign a return (even electronically), you are affirming that it is correct and complete. Therefore, it is always best to wait to file until you are able to include all pertinent information. You may have to file an extension. 

To file Form 4868 to request an extension on time to file your tax return, select your situation:

Keep in mind: An extension doesn't give you extra time to pay your taxes, but it'll keep you from getting a late filing penalty. (You'll still owe interest if you pay after the deadline.)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

After you file

Which of the extended tax provisions do you want to use? Many of them are already in the program and others are coming soon. 

After you file

I've been following this thread because I've been waiting for the college expenses portion to be updated.

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

After you file

Currently, there is not a release date for the update of the Tuition and Fees Deduction portion.  Please continue to check back for an update. 

For those inquiring about other credits and deductions reflected in the Taxpayer Certainty and Disaster Tax Relief Act of 2019, please refer to the FAQs below:

How do I amend my 2018 taxes to claim private mortgage insurance premiums?

How do I amend my 2018 taxes to claim an exclusion for cancelation of debt income on my home?

How do I amend my 2018 taxes to claim energy credits?

After you file

Any update on this? A timeline for TurboTax 2018 to be updated with the new education extenders? 

JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

After you file

@disney92701love see the most current update posted by DaraLO