Turbotax had options of adding information directly in to a tax form. I do not see that on my online tax return I am working on. Is this option taken away?

After you file

Only desktop TurboTax has Forms mode.  Online software does not have this feature.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

After you file

so this is an inferior version of TTax? For greater functionality should I switch to desktop version? If so can I convert already completed form to desktop version?

After you file

How do I switch from TurboTax Online to the TurboTax software?

If you started your 2019 return in TurboTax Online and want to switch to the TurboTax software, here's how.

1. Save your online return as a tax data file.
  2. Sign out of TurboTax Online.
  3. Install your 2019 TurboTax software.
    • If you have not purchased TurboTax Desktop software, select the product you need to complete your return.
    • Important: If your return includes a state, make sure you also install the corresponding state program(s), otherwise you'll get Error 539.
  4. Once installed, choose File then Open Tax Return in the software.
  5. Browse to where you saved your .tax2019 file, select it, and then select Open.
  6. If you get an error, delete your tax data file and repeat these steps from the beginning.
  7. Optional: Once you've confirmed that your online return opens properly in the software, you can clear your online return.

After you file

Of course even if you used the downloaded version you should make all your entries in the Step by Step mode ... making direct form entries in the FORMS mode will void the accuracy guarantee and may keep you from efiling the return.

After you file

And make sure your system is up to the task :

Here are the system requirements to install Turbo Tax for Windows…..

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-...

Here are the system requirements to install Turbo Tax for MAC…..

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-...

Online version system requirements

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/turbotax-online-system-requirements/00/25...

After you file

Not sure why the online version is purposefully made inferior.

After you file

It is not made inferior ... the online system just has limitations.  It is like the difference between a Kia  and a cadillac ... they will both get you to the same destination but they each have different comforts.   If you want the upgraded version with more bells and whistles then switch products.  

After you file

@ratanshah wrote:

Not sure why the online version is purposefully made inferior.

There are several considerations.

1) The desktop forms mode is mainly intended for  trouble shooting and not direct form entry.  In fact the license agreement specifically states that direct form entry and not using the interview  mode will void the TurboTax accuracy guarantee since forms mode depends on the users expertise in knowing how to link various forms that the software does in the interview mode.

2)  The desktop software is paid for in advance when the online is paid for when filing.  If the forms were available prior to filing than anyone could simply copy the forms and mail then without ever paying for the use of the software. If fact you cannot even print the entire tax return online until you pay.

3) The desktop has additional features so as to keep the online product as simple as possible without confusing the average user.  Most users of the desktop products are more sophisticated

computer users than the average online user.

4)  All in all TurboTax marketing has determined that the more sophisticated tools would only be offered for the desktop products.   In addition all versions of the desktop products have the same forms, the difference in the products is the detail and help in the interview while the online products have different forms depending on the version.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

After you file

What's the difference between TurboTax Online and the TurboTax CD/Download?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4883581

TurboTax Online and the TurboTax CD/Download products are very similar and both cover most tax situations. The majority of our customers choose TurboTax Online to confidently file their taxes.

Here are the big differences between the two:

1. If you file online, we store all of your information on our secure servers. If you use the CD/Download, you need to save and store your own tax return.
  2. With TurboTax Online, you can work on your taxes from any computer or mobile device with Internet access. With the CD/Download, you install TurboTax on your computer and you can do your taxes without the Internet.
  3. The CD/Download product is a better overall value for people who prepare tax returns for their friends and family. It allows you to prepare and print unlimited federal returns and e-file up to five at no extra cost.

There are some tax situations that TurboTax Online does not cover. If you need to file corporate, partnership, and estate/trust returns, or 2014-2016 amended returns, you'll need to use the TurboTax CD/Download products.

What are the advantages of the TurboTax CD/Download software over the Online version?

We happen to like them both, but we recommend the TurboTax CD/Download software if you want to:

• Create multiple returns for family members (it's usually cheaper);
  • File separate state returns for married spouses, especially in community property states;
  • Play around with different tax scenarios;
  • Access Forms Mode;
  • Have complete control over the storage of your tax return and tax data file.

There are some situations that only the CD/Download software can handle, such as:

• Preparing or amending prior-year returns;
  • Data imports from Quicken.
  • Importing more than 500 stock transactions;
  • Corporation, S-Corporation, Partnership, Estate, and Trust returns (these are handled in TurboTax Business).

Related Information:

How many times can I e-file using the TurboTax CD or download?

In accordance with IRS regulations, you can use the TurboTax software to e-file up to five (5) federal tax returns. You can prepare as many returns as you want, but only five can be e-filed.

For returns with multiple states, you can e-file up to three (3) states per federal return; the rest must be paper-filed (which probably isn't a big deal, as many nonresident state returns can't be e-filed anyway).

Our license agreement doesn't allow the use of TurboTax for commercial or professional tax preparation. If you need to e-file multiple returns and you are a professional tax preparer, take a look at our ProSeries or Lacerte software.

After you file

"Not sure why the online version is purposefully made inferior."

If you think about this for a minute you'd understand.  If all the Forms/Schedules/Worksheets were always available to you, why in the world would you pay TurboTax?  You could simply copy the information off to a set of blank Forms and Schedules - available for free - and then file.

After you file

I thought you had to pay for online return if you want to file.

After you file

"I thought you had to pay for online return if you want to file."

Perhaps you don't understand that nothing compels you to file an income tax return "online."  Income tax returns prepared on real paper and sent on time via USPS or other carriers are equally valid.

Yes, you are correct that you need to pay TurboTax if you want to e-file, but you must also pay to see the underlying Forms and Schedules.  If it were otherwise people could save the filing fee by transcribing their numbers per TurboTax onto paper forms, then file that way.   To save a minimum of $40 - today's online price for Deluxe - I'd think more than a few folks might just do that.

After you file

I have 2 pages that can substantiate I made an Required Minimum Distribution  Rollover that is not correct in two 1099Rs. How do I add these Twopages onto my Fed electronic submission. I do not see this addressed anywhere????

After you file

@Gulp1 wrote:

I have 2 pages that can substantiate I made an Required Minimum Distribution  Rollover that is not correct in two 1099Rs. How do I add these Twopages onto my Fed electronic submission. I do not see this addressed anywhere????

What is not correct?

Did you enter a 1099-R?

What do you mean "two pages"?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**