BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

After you file

Since we do not have any type of relationship with the company who originally prepared your return, it's hard to say for sure where the refund is going to go. If you do not want to contact the original preparer, I suggest you contact the IRS to confirm with them. Please click here for more details and information for how to prepare for a call to the IRS.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

After you file

Hey I know this was from the past . But when you filed an amended federal return did you also do the state one as well ? I haven't got to mail my state one yet.  Could that be a reason for the delay on my amended federal return .? 

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

After you file

@Lovely1  No. The fact that you have or haven't filed your state return has no bearing on the status of your amended federal return.

Three weeks after you mail your amendment, you can start tracking its status at the IRS Where's My Amended Return? site or by calling their automated number 1-866-464-2050.

Please note that it can take 12-16 weeks to process your amendment.

Reference:  How do I track my amend status? - Community

After you file

My ammended return has been processed as well as adjusted.ive talked to several Ladies whome were also very nice told me it shows where my husband owed back child support and I owed nothing I filled out an injured spouse and had to ammend my return.i was told that even though I filled injured spouse form that the child support office took all the money so if that's the case why bother with that form I'm so confused I just need to know why I received a letter stating I would get bacK $3,018 ok then when???

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

After you file

The child support department would have to pay the money back if it belonged to you. I'm not sure how long it will take you to get payment, but normally it is soon after you receive a letter saying your will receive it.

amanda_hopper
Returning Member

After you file

Did your status ever reach completed on the WHERE'S MY AMENDED RETURN app or did you get the check while it was still is the adjusted process?

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

After you file

Processing an amended return can take up to 16 weeks, then once the IRS completes your return, it should show refund mailed or sent. You can find additional information in the links below:

How do I track my amend status?

Where's My Amended Return?

After you file

What number did you call to speak with a representative at the IRS . I've been trying to see if I can speak with someone just to know for sure if there wasn't an issue with my amended return

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

After you file

You can call the IRS, if it has been longer than 21 days, at 1-800-829-1040. 

When calling the IRS do NOT choose Option 1

Choose Option 2 after you choose the language. 

Then Press 1  

Then Press 4 

Then Press 2, it will then transfer you to an agent. 

This IRS FAQ page will provide more answers.  

After you file

literaly call to setup an appointment. the person making the appointment asked what it was for and he helped me right then and there because it didnt need an appointment. i guess the appointment setter is the Client rep to the irs...

lisa95

After you file

my return has not been done it will be 16 weeks and i have not heard anything about my money i need to no wuts going on 

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

After you file

Don't worry, the article below will provide you with more details as well as contacting the IRS so you can speak with someone regarding your return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refund-status/help/what-if-my-irs-refund-is-taking-longer-than-21-...

After you file

With the virus going on , when will they let out more info for those who are amending their return . What I mean is I see so many post about returns but not once did they ever mentioned anything about amended returns.  Like I've been waiting for mines for awhile now . Hoping it would go by sooner with this virus going on . But instead they only give out info for returns . What about those who did an amended return? Do we still have to wait long for it to be adjusted ? Even when I check "where's my return" for the e-file I originally filed says they receive it and checking on it . But I already received my return from the original e-file , then I had to amend to add my daughter becuase no one was claiming her.  So what is really going on ?? 

DonnaLO
Expert Alumni

After you file

Three weeks after mailing your amended return, you can start tracking it at the IRS Where's My Amended Return? tracking tool. 

Please allow at least 16 weeks for the IRS to process your amended return.

Razabby

After you file

Hello,

You have to wait the full 16 weeks before they will even look into it to see if their was an issue with your amended return. The wheres my amended return is the best option to verify the status of your amendment. It took about 2-3 weeks before it showed they received it and then the full 16 for an update to show they had processed it. After that it took about a month to receive the notice that the made the adjustments and was sending my check. They do have tax advocates that work directly with you, if you request one and can prove you have a need for someone to help you thru the process or have an economic hardship.