mimakoky

Can I e-file my 2018 tax return before I amend my already e-filed 2017 tax return?

When working on my 2018 tax return, TT prompted me to amend my 2017 tax return because I received a 2018 Form 1099-R. Do I need to amend the 2017 tax return and wait until it is accepted by IRS in order to file my 2018 tax return? Or can I file my 2018 tax return right after I process the amendment to 2017 tax return? Thank you.

DanaB
Expert Alumni

After you file

You can file your 2018 before you amend your 2017 return. Please see this FAQ on how to amend your 2017 return:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6603004

[Edit 3/13/2020 | 3:10 PST]

View solution in original post

mimakoky

After you file

Thank you! I have one more question. Should I just ignore the 2018 Form 1099-R that I received in my 2018 filing since I will be amending the 2017 tax return?
DanaB
Expert Alumni

After you file

Yes, if the code in box 7 indicates it is taxable in 2017 then you can ignore it in 2018.
mimakoky

After you file

Thank you, Dana!
DanaB
Expert Alumni

After you file

You are welcome!
mimakoky

After you file

Dana, I ran into another problem while amending the 2017 return. When it asks me what part I need to amend, I select the 1099-R form. When I go through filling in the information from the form, it asks to input the code into box 7, which is P.  However, my 2018 1099-R form says the code P means the "excess contributions plus earnings...taxable in 2017", but when I work in my 2017 tax return copy and select the code P, it says "return of contribution taxable in 2016". It should say 2017 not 2016, is it not true? Should I just leave the code out from box 7?
DanaB
Expert Alumni

After you file

There should be a followup question after you enter the 1099-R: "Which Year on Form 1099-R?" and you should be able to select that it is from 2018 and then TurboTax recognizes that its return of contribution taxable in 2017.
mimakoky

After you file

Oh yes, thank you. I see it now.
mimakoky

After you file

Dana, the print out of the filing instructions of the amended 2017 Maryland tax return says I need to send in check for balance due together with the payment voucher form IND PV. However, that form is not included with my final paperwork. Is that because my checking account info is listed in the forms? Should I assume then that I do not have to send in the check, but that it will be deducted from my checking account? If that is not correct, where do I get the Form IND PV for Maryland?
DanaB
Expert Alumni

After you file

You will have to mail in the payment with your return. From the 502X instruction you don't need a payment voucher for your payment:
MAILING INSTRUCTIONS
Mail your return to:
Comptroller of Maryland
Revenue Administration Division
Amended Return Unit
110 Carroll Street
Annapolis, Maryland 21411-0001

PAYMENT INSTRUCTIONS
Make your check or money order payable to “Comptroller of
Maryland.” Write the type of tax and year of tax being paid on
your check. It is recommended that you include your Social
Security number on check using blue or black ink.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://forms.marylandtaxes.gov/17_forms/502X.pdf">https://forms.marylandtaxes.gov/17_forms/502X.pdf...>
mimakoky

After you file

Ok, thank you. I guess the filing instruction sheet needs to be updated then. Thanks again for all your help!