pbob

It's been 30 days since my federal return was accepted electronically. I received my state return. What's up?

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

After you file

There a various reasons that can cause delays in receiving your refund. Please take a look at the information below.

Your federal refund can take longer than 21 days to process for the following reasons:

• You claimed an Earned Income Tax Credit and/or an Additional Child Tax Credit and filed before February 15, 2018.  It takes until the week of February 27 to receive your refund at the earliest.
    •The IRS processed a refund offset.
    •There were errors, inconsistencies, or missing info on the return.
    •The return is under review.
    •The IRS suspects identity theft or fraud.
    •There's a Form 8397 (Injured Spouse Allocation) on your return.  It takes 11-14 weeks to process.
    •You filed Form 1040-X (Amended Return), which can take 12-16 weeks to process.

The IRS also cautions that financial institutions may vary in how long they take to process direct deposits, and paper checks are subject to mail delays.

IRS representatives can only research your refund if it’s been at least 21 days since you e-filed, at least 6 weeks since you mailed your return, or if their Where’s My Refund? lookup tool tells you to contact them.

If Where's My Refund? says your return has been received but your refund has not yet been approved, that means the IRS has your return and is actively working on it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

jones6868

After you file

I filed through turbotax and where's my refund still saying processing  it's been 30 days 

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

After you file

Please reference EbonyA's post above. The IRS issues refunds, not TurboTax. This means that we can't say for sure why you haven’t received your refund if it's been longer than 21 days since you e-filed. You'll have to speak directly to IRS to find out more about the delay.

If it’s been:

• 21 days or more since you e-filed
  • 6 weeks or more since you mailed your return
  • Or if the IRS’s Where's My Refund page tells you to contact them

Then the IRS asks that you call them at these numbers:

• For individuals: 800-829-1040
  • For businesses: 800-829-4933
  • For those with hearing impairments: TTY/TDD 800-829-4059

To have an efficient call, here's what you need to prepare.

What makes refunds late?

After you file

same here...today is 31 for me...i used turbo tax also...says mine is still being processed...

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

After you file

The IRS issues most refunds in about 21 days, although some returns take more time to review. If it has been more than 21 days since your return was accepted, you can call the IRS directly to check on your refund status.

How do I contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS ...

After you file

same here. are we waiting for the irs to contact us about some issue? i filed the easiest simplest tax return. i cant understand what went wrong. am i supposed to file an amendment after a certain amount of time passes? every day is agony 🥴

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

After you file

Unfortunately, many people are experiencing this long delay for their tax returns. You do not need to send an amendment or any paperwork unless the IRS sends you a letter in the mail requesting additional information.

The IRS started processing returns later than in prior years and as such has a backlog to work through. They also just recently started processing returns claiming EIC and/or ACTC.

During processing, the government reviews your refund. During the review process, they look for math errors on your return (extremely rare in TurboTax) and they also check if you owe back taxes, unpaid child support, or other debts.

If they need to make any corrections, they may offset (reduce) your refund. In some cases, the correction might even increase your refund.

Once that part's done, the government approves your refund, which means it's ready to be deposited or sent.  At that point the IRS site will update with a direct deposit date.

Please see the link below for more information:

What if my IRS refund is taking longer than 21 days? - TurboTax Support Video

After you file

I was  excepted  feb 17  it is  now  march 17th why  am I still waiting  I do have  child  tax  credit  and  earned  income  credit  but  so did  the  people  I know  and  they  got  theirs  already  ... why  am I still waiting  

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

After you file

@Kennethhendricks123

TurboTax does not receive updates from the IRS once they have accepted your return therefore we don't have the reason for your delay. You can contact the IRS regarding the delay however you will experience long wait times and if you don't get through the first time you will need to call back. The mornings tend to have lower volume of calls.

Where’s My Refund? has the most up to date information available about your refund. The tool is updated daily (usually overnight) so you will just usually need to check once a day.

For more on the timing of your refund please see this TurboTax FAQ.

Please see these TurboTax FAQ's on why some tax return refunds may take a while to be released and what steps you can take:

If you are concerned and it's been over 21 days since your tax return was accepted by the IRS and you decide to call them here are some tips when contacting the IRS at 1-800-829-1040:

• First choose your language. 
  • Then do not choose the first choice regarding REFUND, or it will send you to an automated phone line.
  • Instead, press 2 for personal income tax questions.
  • Then press 1 for form, tax history, or payment.  
  • Then press 3 for all other questions.
  • Then press 2 for all other questions to be transferred to an agent

Also this TurboTax FAQ lets you know what to have ready before you contact the IRS: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/irs/help/what-do-i-need-if-i-call-the-irs/00/27378

If you are anticipating a state tax return refund those processing times vary from state to state. To check on a state refund please visit your state Department of Revenue website.

shekrylon

After you file

Anyone else feel there’s a huge delay? It says there shouldn’t be a delay but it sure feels like there is a long wait. I filed electronically March 18th. Both stated accepted and I received my state refund already but no federal or stimulus yet. We are now in May. I just want to know if they are delayed. If so, fine. That way I don’t need to wonder why, what, or where my tax return is. 

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

After you file

Unfortunately, the IRS is extremely understaffed due to COVID-19. This has impacted the processing of returns and refunds. If you do not receive your refund by the time the IRS resumes normal operations, please reach out to them at 800 829 1040.

@shekrylon

After you file

My  husband  has  been waiting  since  feb 17 before  this  stuff  went  down. What  would  be  their  reason ? 

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

After you file

Where’s My Refund? has the most up to date information available about your refund. The tool is updated daily (usually overnight) so you will just usually need to check once a day.

For more on the timing of your refund please see this TurboTax FAQ.

Please see these TurboTax FAQ's on why some tax return refunds may take a while to be released and what steps you can take:

Please note - - - IRS live telephone assistance is currently unavailable due to COVID-19. Normal operations will resume when possible. Tax help is available 24 hours a day on IRS.gov.  The IRS website offers a variety of online tools to help taxpayers answer common tax questions. For example, taxpayers can search the Interactive Tax AssistantTax TopicsFrequently Asked Questions, and Tax Trails to get answers to common questions. Those who have already filed can check their refund status by visiting IRS.gov/Refunds. 

@Kennethhendricks123

After you file

Yes  already  done  just  says  possessing  . I never  got  that  extra  500 for  my  new  born and  they  are  looking  into it  for  3  months  now  . I have  a  feeling  they  are  NOT  going  to get  my  refund  after  i have  paid  you  guys  already