Can I still file my 2013 taxes

Will the IRS accept my 2013 tax filing or is it to late to file 2013 taxes in 2017

gfblandsc

After you file

ned too file 2013 taxes...and pay for them

After you file

@jmariearch75 

ADDENDUM 2/24/2020:

This is an OLD thread from 2017 that transferred into this new community forum in June 2019.  Unfortunately, all old threads from the old AnswerXChange were given a date as of the June 2019 transfer.   The original answer below (written in 2017) contains outdated information about 2013 software that  no longer applies at this point in time.

ORIGINAL ANSWER from 2017 (outdated) :

TurboTax no longer sells or supports the 2013 software, but I see that Amazon is still selling the 2013 product as a download. There are also some third-party sellers at Amazon selling the 2013 CD version, but I'd shy away from the CD, since it is Release 1, and I'm not sure if you will have any updating problems at this point.

Also, if you have a modern computer OS such as Windows 10, I don't know how well 2013 installs and runs, but Windows has a "compatibility mode" which one can possibly use to install the program and run it simulating an earlier OS.  If you're using a modern MAC OS X such as Sierra or High Sierra, then I don't know what problems you will encounter, but it might not work since the program was written before those Mac versions were around.

Another option if your return is simple, is to download the 2013 forms and 2013 Instructions from the IRS website and prepare them by hand.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions">https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions</a>

After you file

@gfblandsc  
See the additional warnings I added about old software and modern operating systems above.

After you file

ADDENDUM  2/24/2020:

This is an OLD thread from 2017 that transferred into this new community forum in June 2019.  Unfortunately, all old threads from the old AnswerXChange were given a date as of the June 2019 transfer.   The original answer below (written in 2017) contains outdated information about 2013 software that  no longer applies at this point in time.

OLD ANSWER from 2017:

You can still prepare and file (by mail) a 2013 return.  You can purchase 2013 desktop software as a download from TurboTax at the link below.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

The 2013 return has to be printed and mailed.  It cannot be efiled.

You can even file years prior to 2013, but if you are due a Federal refund, the statute of limitations to get the money is 3 years from the due date of the original return, or extended due date (if applicable.)

So a 2013 return which was due in April 2014, has until this year's  filing deadline in April 2017 to get a refund.  If an extension was timely filed in 2013, one would have until this year's filing deadline in October 2017.

View solution in original post

After you file

@bwilliams2302
Oops.  The purchase link was missing, but it's there now.

After you file

@gfblandsc 

YOU CAN FILE STATE FOR FREE, always with Free Tax USA. The only thing you are asked to pay for is STATE $14.99-if you have to file those. There is ALWAYS a coupon on the internet...and it has the EXACT same software and results as all the other sites have. I use it myself now.

After you file

@ministerkimberly 

When the user forum made the change from the old forum--Answer Xchange-- to the new one--Real Money Talk--a lot of old threads migrated over and sadly they ended up with 2019 dates on them even though they are old.  This is one of them...this is an OLD thread.  It is way too late for anyone to get a tax refund for a 2013 tax return.  We do not want the user above to unrealistically think they can get a 2013 refund.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

After you file

definitely cannot get a refund but they can still file.  I have a client now that is going back to 201e but he just wants it all to be right so he can file with his wife next yr. He understands the time limit has passed to get anything. I have been a preparer for 17 yrs and just wanted to help. Thanx for letting me know. 

After you file

@ministerkimberly wrote:

definitely cannot get a refund but they can still file.  I have a client now that is going back to 201e but he just wants it all to be right so he can file with his wife next yr. He understands the time limit has passed to get anything. I have been a preparer for 17 yrs and just wanted to help. Thanx for letting me know. 

They can still file but not with TurboTax since any year prior to 2016 is not supported.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

After you file

Where do i find it

After you file

@Pirtle1064 Your short little post was added on to a very old thread full of jumbled posts from others.  What are you trying to find?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

After you file

@ jmariearch75 

I don't know what you are doing since you didn't post anything, but I noticed you "cheered" one of my original answers in this OLD thread, which is full of OLD information about the 2013 TurboTax product.   This is an old thread from about 3 years ago that transferred into this new community forum in June 2019, when it is actually from 2017.   Unfortunately all the old threads that transferred in were given a late May/early June 2019 date, which is the date of the transfer.

The information in my original answer above is no longer current.  I'm going to add a note to my answers above so other users will not be confused.

NOTE:  Even if you were to find a legitimate copy of the 2013 software, you may not even be able to update it with the final version of the 2013 forms for that filing season since it is no longer supported.     And there are many scams on the Internet, who might try to get your personal info or plant malware on your computer.

If you were due a Federal refund for 2013 tax year, it's too late to get the refund, since the statute of limitations has expired.  It is still possible to file, however.  One possibility is to download 2013 paper forms from the IRS website and prepare them manually as previously described in an answer on this page.