I received a CP2000 letter for my 2015 return, the IRS states that the amount I entered as paid to my college on the 8863 form was incorrect.

The amount entered for the total paid to the college was entered incorrect, the 1098 i received included totals from 2016 as well. The CP2000 letter says I owe back $407 for the education credit received, this was the total amount of my education credit, I re-did that portion of my taxes with the correct amount and found that I should have gotten a credit of $219 instead of $407 so I feel that I only owe them $188 not $407. My question is do I need to file an amended return and also when I return my CP2000 letter with my written explanation should I include a check for the $188 or wait for a response from the IRS?
TomD8
Level 15

After you file

If you disagree with an IRS notice, generally the best response (rather than doing an amended return) is to submit the response form with a signed statement explaining why you disagree, along with any supporting documentation you might have.  Be sure to keep a copy of the correspondence.  Include a phone number at which they can contact you, and make sure your last name & SSN  & the tax year are on each page of your response.  Personally, I wouldn't enclose a check until the IRS formally accepts or rejects your disagreement.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.