The IRS sent me a letter stating that they are reviewing my refund. is this an Audit? how long should it take on average?

JulieCo

After you file

A review of refund letter from the IRS is not the same thing as an audit.  There are many reasons that the IRS may review or hold a refund, such as:

• You have unfiled or missing tax returns for prior tax years.
  • The check was held or returned due to a problem with the name or address.
  • You elected to apply the refund toward your estimated tax liability for next year.
  • The IRS is reviewing your tax return.
  • Your refund was applied to a debt you owe, to the IRS or another federal or state agency.

It is hard to say how the long the IRS review process will take.  Here are some general guidelines that are posted on the IRS taxpayer advocate website:

If you provide the information the IRS requested, the IRS should correct your account and resolve the refund issue (generally within 60 days). 

If you file a missing or late return, the IRS will process your returns and issue your refunds (generally within 90 days).

If you don’t provide the information or file the missing returns, your refund will be delayed longer.

If you file an amended tax return (IRS Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return), the IRS should make any necessary adjustments and issue the refund (generally within 120 days).

If you’re facing serious financial difficulties and need your refund immediately, contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service It may be able to expedite your refund.

For more information, see this website:  https://taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/get-help/held-or-stopped-refunds

After you file

My tax return was accepted feb 1.  I got a letter telling me they dont need anything!  Then i get another letter stating an additional 60 days as of March 17th...again needing nothing additional!!!  When i check the irs website...no bars with the message still processing! Called twice...same thing as the letters!   How long can they hold my refund hostage?  This seems to be the case!

After you file

I e-filed Feb 3, I have called 8 times no info needed from me. IRS said it might be released July 20th but maybe longer. The IRS is a joke they give deadlines on when we have to give there money but can hold working peoples money as long as they want. That’s just not right

After you file

Rzrryder28:

You can contact the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service.   They are especially prone to help if you have a hardship, or if you can't get good info from the IRS, or if the IRS doesn't meet dates it tells you and keeps delaying.

At the following IRS website, find the USA map and click on your state, and it will give you the phone number of your IRS Taxpayer Advocate.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

Also see this article for more info on how the Taxpayer Advocate Service works::
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc104.html

AuntBoo44

After you file

I’m going through the exact same thing. I was also told they need nothing. How can we provide any info if they telling us they don’t need anything. I mean if it’s a problem I’d lime to know so I can fix it and get my money if not just release my funds.

After you file

@AuntBoo44 

Please see the comment right above yours on how to contact and seek help from the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service. When you phone them, stress that you have been unable to get info from the IRS (if that's the case), or that they have failed to meet any promised deadlines, etc.

After you file

I see I’m not the only one. Keep getting these 60 additional days later. Refund accepted 2/4/19. I was told it’s pretty much a stall tactic & 2 impatiently wait on them 2 release the funds or another letter 🤷🏽‍♀️

After you file

I have a client in the same boat  - filed return in Feb - received a letter for 60 days - the 60 days was up July 1st - I called again the IRS stated they are not requesting any additional information and I can call back in another 60 days - I am at a total loss of how to help my client  - but thankful he is not the only one.

After you file

I have found the advocate service to be even more inept than the irs- after a two hour review of my return, the advocate insisted that i file an amended return because i allegedly messed up and failed to carry information from one schedule to form 1040 when the instructions clearly state to put the info on another schedule (as originally done). Had i followed his directions, i would have guaranteed myself at least another 16 weeks of waiting for amended processing. Two cpas and a tax lawyer have both confirmed my forms are perfectly completed and the advocate was completely mistaken. The advocate, by the way, not only refused to answer any of my questions, but also hung up on me intentionally when i asked to speak to someone whom was willing to read the complete sentence containing the instructions he was ignoring.

After you file

Can a class action lawsuit be filed against the IRS? Still waiting on my returns, would be nice if I could charge late fees and interest on my money.

After you file

Both IRS.gov and the taxpayer Advocacy website both detail that the IRS does indeed pay interest when they take longer than 45 days to process your tax return- do not remember if it was 4% or 8% but it’s one of the two and it is guaranteed by law.

After you file

I have been waiting since the very beginning and I still have no refund. I tried to call a tax advocate and they just had me on hold for over an hour before the phone disconnects. I am beginning to give up on ever seeing my refund and I am in desperate need of one.

After you file

@meagan1 wrote:

I have been waiting since the very beginning and I still have no refund. I tried to call a tax advocate and they just had me on hold for over an hour before the phone disconnects. I am beginning to give up on ever seeing my refund and I am in desperate need of one.

If you know for sure that the IRS received your return and it's under review, have you talked to  the IRS?  

I'll tell you the steps to reach a live IRS agent below.  

As for the Taxpayer Advocate Service, there are a couple of ways to reach them.   If you only tried one way then try the other way, and keep trying until you reach them.   They are especially prone to help if you have an economic hardship, so stress that when you talk to them.

Here's how to reach the local office of the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service in your state. 

At the following IRS website, find the USA map and click on your state, and it will give you the number of your IRS Taxpayer Advocate.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

Or if that's unsuccessful, here's how to contact the national office of the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service:

877-777-4778

Also see this article for more info on how the Taxpayer Advocate Service works::
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc104.html

To speak to someone at the IRS, here's how to reach a live IRS agent:

800-829-1040 (7AM-7 PM local time) Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do not choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

• First choose your language.  Then listen to each menu before making the selection.
  • Then press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions." 
  • It might transfer you to an agent at that point.   If it doesn't it may ask for your SSN, but do not enter it.  Just wait.    If it asks for SSN a second time, still do not enter it.
  • Then you'll get another menu.  Choose 2 for "personal" then you should be transferred.

I usually use a speakerphone so I can work on something else while waiting.

After you file

I have reached out to them several times and they tell me I am still under a 60 day review and they need nothing from me and not to contact them until the 60 days are up. I have not made it to the end of any of my reviews because a week before, they send another letter stating that they need more time to review my account and there is nothing they need me to do and it continues like this. As far as the TA, When I spoke to someone they asked why i needed my refund and that there was no point in me talking to a TA since I do not qualify for a hardship and my account is under review. Nobody will say why I am under review. I have reviewed 4 letters for 60 day reviews and it seems like every time I call, I get a new letter for an additional 60 day review. I filed 1/24 and it is now 7/30