dmpatel90

I am a full time grad student with no income. My tax returns download document doesn't contain my tax returns, just the cover sheets. Where is it? Do I even have to file?

I am also from Texas!

After you file

Without any taxable income, there is no need to file a federal tax return. There will be no generated tax forms if you have not entered any income or anything else for the return. Even if you were to try to file a return with no income, it would need to be printed and mailed. And if you paper-file and mail that return, you'll just create unnecessary work for the government and for you. The IRS will not accept any e-filed returns with zero as the amount of income.

For a return without taxable income, you would not qualify to get any refundable tax credits or a refund without taxable income (or taxes withheld from income). And there is no benefit from deductions or dependent exemptions without taxable income.

And for Texas; they have no income tax, so you do not file a state tax return

Other Helpful Info:

View solution in original post

dmpatel90

After you file

Hey Andrea! Thanks for answering. So I am living fully off of student loans. This does not count as income? I do not have to file returns even though I am receiving student loans?

After you file

You are welcome. No, your student loans would also not be considered taxable income and should not be included as income on your income tax return. It is not income since you will have to repay the amount that you borrowed plus interest. So you do not need to file the return.

The only time your student loan would be considered income is if it's been forgiven. Then in that instance, the amount forgiven would be income in that year that it was forgiven.