mateolo

How to add an amended 1099misc

I just received a 1099misc that is incorrect.

i made $2,000 and they said i made $20,000 on the non-employee compensation field!

I have contacted the bookkeeping firm who sent it to me and asked them to amend the 1099misc form and send me a corrected form which they are doing --- but they have already sent the incorrect form to the IRS.

How do i proceed with adding this in turbo tax? 

And since i am not e-filing, do i need to send an additional letter from the bookkeeping firm stating that they made an error, destroyed the wrong form and re-issued a new one?

Thanks for any advice anyone can provide!

JulieH1

After you file

When the accounting firm sends you the corrected form 1099-Misc, they are required to send a corrected copy to the IRS as well.  It is their responsibility to notify the IRS. It definitely would not hurt to include such a letter with your return, but it is not necessary since this really does happen ALL the time.

When you get the corrected 1099-Misc, you will enter it into TurboTax normally. There is no box to check for a corrected 1099-MISC in the program. You will simply file with the most updated form.

View solution in original post

mateolo

After you file

thanks!! I will try to get a letter from the firm and - I still can't imaging that a $10k "mistake" happens all of the time 😉
JulieH1

After you file

I had one yesterday, where they added six zeros!  Scary!!!!
mateolo

After you file

WOW!!! that's crazy!
Jimboo

After you file

I need to add a 1099c to my taxes that I didn't know I was getting 

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

After you file

If you missed filing a 1099-c form with your 2020 tax return see this for information on how to amend your tax return: How do I amend my 2020 TurboTax Online return?

Also, you will need to wait to file the amendment until the IRS has accepted your tax return.

Per the IRS amended returns can take up to 16 weeks to fully process. Please see this for more information from the IRS: Amended Returns & Form 1040X.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"