kepanoe

If i paid state and federal taxes last year. Can i put that on this years taxes.

After you file

The money you paid to the IRS for a previous year’s federal tax return is not deductible, so you do not enter it anywhere on your 2017 return.  If you paid taxes due in 2017 to your state or local government, you can enter that by going to Federal> Deductions and Credits> Estimates and Other Taxes Paid> Other Income Taxes.  You can enter the taxes you paid, but do not include any penalties or interest.

There are six states that allow you to enter the federal tax you paid on your state return--Alabama, Iowa. Louisiana, Missouri, Montana, and Oregon.  If you are filing in one of these states watch for the deduction when you prepare your state return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
kepanoe

After you file

I paid taxes last year for the State of Hawaii. So that means i can’t put what i paid and this years tax forms

After you file

If you paid a tax due to Hawaii in 2017 you can enter it on your 2017 tax return.  Please re-read the response.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**