I got a tax topic 151 which I know what that is but will they hold my entire refund or give me a partial that was not affected? The affected part I’m sure was my step son

I have three children 2 of which are my biological kids but my son is my step son. I’m sure that’s why I got a tax topic 151 to prove he lives with me. But I was wondering if I would get a partial or my refund of the part of the refund that is not affected which would be my other 2 kids? 

LisaBr

After you file

We can't tell you whether the IRS will give you part of your refund or take it all.  They could determine that you could have all of it. 

Tax Topic 151 means your return is under review.  This can be done for various credit claims such as Earned Income Credit or any of the education tax breaks (this is not all inclusive).  Your best bet it to wait until the IRS contacts you via letter which can take up to or more than 4 weeks for you to receive it.

They may simply need more information and nothing will be affected.  In addition, they could potentially make changes which you can accept or contest the changes per the IRS letter.

After you file

Not true topic 151 means there's an offset pending an that your taxes are being adjusted

After you file

I received the topic 151 this morning on WMR.. so it basically means they’re offsetting an amount? & I’ll get the difference?

Msdee1989

After you file

I got the same message this morning, in which I know I owed from last year. Will they take what’s owed to them and release the rest or do I need to call in?

Cranman
Returning Member

After you file

Ive got the same message. This so confusing that so many ppl has gotten the same message.

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

After you file

It sounds like you have a refund offset.  This is when the IRS reduces your refund to pay off delinquent debt.  If this happens, you will receive a letter explaining why your refund was offset.

Tax Topic 151 is the code referring to your right to appeal in this situation.  Read more here:  https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc151

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

After you file

I got the same message today as well a lot people are getting same error will they b adjusting our refund ?

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

After you file

@King67

Unfortunately, TurboTax does not receive updates from the IRS, once a return is accepted. Please see this great explanation regarding this situation: Refunds Reduced and Partial Refunds

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

After you file

I do owe from unemployment which I think may b reason that they are going to adjust my refund and give me the rest lol. 

After you file

If anyone else is having 151 tax topic please share! 

Ceci_88

After you file

hi I was contacting because we received the same letter and I was wondering did it have anything to do with you filing a child that wasn't biologically yours and if so what happened in that case

After you file

I am going through this now they will hold the refund under review if you claimed the eitc. Birth certificates lease doctor or school records a lease and utility bill. Making sure you send yours and the kids.

After you file

No it means you are under review

After you file

No it's under review until I send supporting documents