ktren03

My original refund was around $2000 with state refund included. I went back and amended my 1098-E form because it was missing in the original submission. I'm wondering why my total is now a little over $400. Is this in addition to my original refund or th

Patrice

After you file

Yes, this is in addition to your original refund. The refund monitor will reset to zero when you start the amendment interview.  Once you make your changes or additions the monitor will show an additional refund amount due or taxes owed. If your amendment does not change your return the monitor will stay at zero.

When you start an amended tax return, it assumes that you received the original refund....so it only shows the difference between the originally filed tax return and the new one you are preparing.   Thus any changes you make now will result in either an additional refund, or a new tax bill to pay back.

If you are due a refund from the original tax filing, you have to wait for it...and only do the amended tax return once you know your exact situation for the original tax file.

Amendments have to be printed and mailed.

View solution in original post