How long do I have to wait until I get a date for my refund?

After you file

Only the IRS and/or your state can provide you with an exact date for your deposits after they approve your refund. You'll need to track the status on their websites for updates on your return and for a deposit date. See below for how to do this. 

Once you have filed successfully using TurboTax, the IRS and/or state handles all processing of the returns and your refunds. And they no longer send updates to TurboTax once your return has been accepted. Processing times can vary; so keep an eye out on their tracking pages for updates.

You can use the IRS Where's My Refund site for the latest status on your federal tax refund. 
  • They generally issue refunds within 21 days of being accepted, but that can sometimes take longer depending on your tax situation.
And you can use your State Department of Revenue's website to check status of state tax refund. Choose your state here How do I track my state refund? and it will give you steps to track the status. 
  • Depending on your state, processing times can vary. Some states put a notice on their refund tracking page to let you know how long processing takes; some do not. If there is no notice, no need to be alarmed; just give them time to process it. If it's not showing in their system, that means they have not started processing it yet.
NOTE: If you claimed Earned Income/Additional Child Tax credit on your return, the government held those returns until around mid-February. And refunds from those returns will start releasing in late February. You can find more details on that here Avoid the Rush Track Tax Refund Online at IRS.gov

Other Related Topics: