JunieW

1099-G "Tell us about your refund", for the box "Total of all your payments and withholding". What is this, and where on my state tax return to find this info?

After you file

If you are referring to the screen related to refunds received for state/local tax returns (see attached screenshots depending on TurboTax product platform), Total of all your payments and withholding is the total amount you paid to the state or locality you selected on the screen for the year you selected under Tax Year of Refund (usually 2016). Thus, if you received the refund and related Form 1099-G in 2017 but the amount was for "Tax Year of Refund" 2016, then you would enter "Total of all your payments and withholding" for tax year 2016.

The amount would not include federal, social security, and medicare taxes withholdings. You should be able to find this information on your state or local tax return(s) for the "Tax Year of Refund". Many states or localities even have a similarly labeled line that is a total, such as "Total payments" or "Total payments and credits." Depending on the state or locality, "Total of all your payments and withholding" may include the following:

• Amounts withheld on your W-2, W-2G, and 1099
  • Estimated tax payments for 2016. Add any paid in 2017 for 2016 (it's common for the 4th quarterly payment to be made in January)
  • Overpayment from 2015 applied toward your 2016 return
  • Payment made with an extension of time to file
  • Payment made when you filed your return
  • Refundable credits

View solution in original post

After you file

I cant get ahold of my cpa. I need to know the exact amount of my state refund to find out why I havent received it.
Willie G

After you file

wouldn't the total amount paid to the state be shown on my W2 from the previous year (in this case, 2020 W2, line 17?) for the tax return for 2021?

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

After you file

It depends.  If the withholding from your W2 matched your tax liability exactly then yes box 17 would be the correct entry.  However that is pretty rare due to items mentioned in earlier posts.  

Normally there is either a tax owed when the state return is completed and so the taxpayer ultimately paid more than box 17 or there is a refund meaning the taxpayer ultimately paid less than the box 17 amount.  

Therefore one must look at the prior year state return to see what the ultimate tax liability paid was.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"