Did you have to itemize your deductions in 2016? I dont understand this

I am starting my TT2017 return and I am under the section where I enter my 1099-G regarding the state refund.  Usually I just enter the amount of the state refund.  Pretty straight forward.  However, this time, it is taking me to a section I have never seen before. 

The section is copied/pasted below

Did you have to itemize your deductions in 2016?

Let us know if you had to itemize your deductions in 2016 because of special circumstances (see below) even though taking the standard deduction would have been a higher deduction for you (This is not common)

Here are the reasons you would have been required to itemize your deductions:

- You itemized your deductions for state and local return

- Your spouse itemized deductions for his or her separately filed claim

- You are a dual status alien

The options are

1) Yes, I was required to iemize my deductions in 2016

2) No, I didn't have to itemize my deductions in 2016

I did itemize my deductions in 2016 because I paid mortgage interest expense and itemized deductions always give me a higher return than takin the standard deductions. I'm a little confused on what it means that I itemized deductions for state and local return.  I got a state refund in 2017 on my 1099-G.  I have no spouse and I am not dual status alien.  I'm a US citizen.  It says above that the standard deduction would have been a higher deduction for me.....I don't understand how standard deduction > itemized deductions.  Usually, standard deduction is always lower than itemized deduction. OR am I reading this wrong?

After you file

Based on your answer, your option is to select "Yes, I was required to itemized my deductions in 2016." TurboTax will help you determine which greater deduction to take either Standard or Itemize.

After you file

@TurboTaxScottT when would the standard deduction ever be higher than itemized deductions?  That never happens.....does it?

After you file

Depends on your filing status,  the standard deduction for married filing jointly rises to $12,700 for tax year 2017. For single taxpayers and married individuals filing separately, the standard deduction rises to $6,350 in 2017.  For heads of households, the standard deduction will be $9,350 for tax year 2017. The system will select for you the greater of amount.