mrsdrea26

My son last name is spelled wrong on my tax returns that I have already submitted

Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

After you file

If your son's last name is spelled wrong on your tax returns that you have already submitted, the IRS may Reject your return.  The IRS matches the first four letters of the last name with the Social Security Number; therefore, your return will only reject if the first four letters of your son's last name are incorrect.

If you receive an email from TurboTax that your return has been rejected, you will simply need to login to your return, correct the spelling of your son's last name, and then resubmit your returns.

You can also track your status here:  https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/wheres-my-refund/.

[Edited 01.28.2019|10:54 AM]

View solution in original post

BobB7

After you file

Actually, it MAY reject but it may not.  If it does then do what RachelW said.  If the return is accepted then do nothing.  But when you do next year's taxes, fix the incorrect carryover before submitting.
mrsdrea26

After you file

Thanks. I didn’t realize that autocorrect changed one letter in his name..
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

After you file

@mrsdrea26 Please see edited answer above.
mrsdrea26

After you file

Well his name only has 4 letters so I will wait until they rejected it.. I hate that I didn’t see that before it happened. I double checked everything in some how it still didn’t save his name correctly

After you file

I just noticed like three Fay’s who the first five letters are correct so I hope it’s no problem. Does it matter if I put Jr. or not on the return
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

After you file

Yes, you need to include Jr if that is on his social security card.

After you file

Dang I hope they don’t audit me
cadym
Returning Member

After you file

DID THEY END UP AUDITING YOU?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

After you file

This thread is two years old.   Do you have a tax question?      @cadym

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

After you file

My son name is ayden Anthony basora banegas and I put it down on my tax return

Ayden Anthony basora banagas

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

After you file

Please see this Turbo Tax FAQ on when to amend.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/do-i-need-to-amend/00/27607

@Basora1015

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

After you file

I have a question !! 
I know this thread is from 3 years ago but I’m not sure how to ask a new question …

so I spelled one of my daughters last name wrong! It’s only one letter off! It’s 5 letters total and I got the 4th letter wrong ! And it’s been over 48 hours and it still says pending ! What do I do? If there is anything I can do.

After you file

No----just keep waiting.  The misspelled name will not likely be a problem, but if the e-file is rejected you can fix it and re-file.  Do not do anything now.  You cannot make changes to a return that is pending.  And there are plenty of e-files that are taking more than 48 hours.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**