joachimb

I have been using a tax preparer for years and would like to use Turbotax and do my own. Can I "test drive" turbotax by using my last year's return?

I am hoping I can input all the info and data from my 2015 tax return, and seeing if I can replace everything my tax preparer has been doing by using Turbotax.  I am also hoping all that info can help prepare my 2016 taxes with turbotax
Hal_Al
Level 15

After you file

Yes. With TurboTax Online (TTO), you do not have to pay until you are ready to file. The problem is you can only do one return per account and do not get to see all the forms until you pay.    In the on-line version of TT,  the  main Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ can be seen (before paying) through Tools, View Tax Summary, Preview My 1040 or  go to Print Center and then choose to Preview.

After you file

And the Online web version is only good for the current year.   So only for 2016 now.  With the Online version not all versions have the same forms so you may need to use a higher version.  If you buy the Desktop CD/Download program then all versions have all the same forms so you can use a lower less expenses version.  There are several other big differences between Online and Desktop.

After you file

If you want to input the 2015 return you will have to buy & install the 2015 downloaded program which can be bought here :  https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

Good news, if you get the 2015 return in and it matches the original, you can transfer in that info to the 2016 program ... so don't start a 2016 program until you finish the 2015. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

After you file

You have to pay for download software before you use it, either current year or past years