kbug109

The IRS keeps telling me I have the wrong DOB. What do I do? I put my correct DOB in 4 times now.

After you file

Print your return and mail it in.  Then, contact the social security administration and have them check your records.  The IRS uses their database so the SSA may have your birthdate wrong, and you can try and correct their records.

View solution in original post

After you file

I corrected my birthdate through the SSA (they had the wrong date on file). They told me it should take 24 hours to be in the system. I filed my taxes a week later and it keeps rejecting it because my birthdate is still wrong. Why is it still rejecting it?

After you file

The IRS copies the social security administration database into their own files.  We don't know officially how often the IRS takes an updated copy, but your experience is not unusual.  You will either need to fill by mail this year and hope it is fixed for next year, or keep trying every few days and hope the IRS copies the new update.  (I would at this point.)

After you file

what if i made the change in the social security admin, but the IRS said they take 2 to 6 weeks to make the change. I wouldn't mind waiting but the last day to file my taxes is the 17 of this month. If i was to put in the wrong birthday just to get my taxes approved would i get in trouble?

After you file

The birthday affects your tax computation. If your tax doesn't change, you can get away with it.

After you file

I would rather that you file a correct tax return by mail than an incorrect tax return by e-filing.   Mailing your return would only delay you refund by about two weeks compared to e filing.   However, as long as your tax situation does not include any age specific computations, you would probably get away with it.

After you file

I called the SSA and they couldnt do anything. they couldnt even see if my birthdate didn't match she just said something doesn't match and she can't see what but turbo tax says its my birthdate. when I tried to check my stimulus check it said the same thing. so the SSA can't even tell me what doesn't match. Ive filed taxes for years I don't understand how all of a sudden my birthdate with SSA and IRS doesn't match, and the representative said its not a sign of identity theft.... so how does this even happen?

After you file

@averisunflower wrote:

I called the SSA and they couldnt do anything. they couldnt even see if my birthdate didn't match she just said something doesn't match and she can't see what but turbo tax says its my birthdate. when I tried to check my stimulus check it said the same thing. so the SSA can't even tell me what doesn't match. Ive filed taxes for years I don't understand how all of a sudden my birthdate with SSA and IRS doesn't match, and the representative said its not a sign of identity theft.... so how does this even happen?

TurboTax does not reject your tax return, the IRS does.  So the date of birth reported on your e-filed tax return  for your name and Social Security number do not match with what is in the IRS database.

As stated in the answer above -

The IRS uses their database so the SSA may have your birthdate wrong, and you can try and correct their records.

After you file

I live out of state;  I am currently in Europe and it is impossible for me to go to the SSA office. When I called SSA on the phone, they said that they could not do anything over the phone. Like many of you, my date of birth is incorrect in the Social Security database, and therefore I cannot return my tax. What can I do now

by taking into consideration that I am out of the US? THX FOR ANY REPLY 

SINCERELY...

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

After you file

You will need to complete your filing and then mail it to the IRS.  Do not e-file.  To file by mail, please see the Help Article here.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

After you file

I have the same issue. After the last 15 years of filing taxes, now all of a sudden it says my DOB doesnt match IRS records. How is that even possible? I had to print my taxes and mail them in last year and it took over 3 months to receive a refund. With the pandemic, I cannot afford to wait another 3 months for my refund. SSA offices are closed, you are required to mail in documents but they want originals, not copies. I cannot be without my birth certificate or license for however long it takes SSA to fix THEIR error. I just dont understand how all of a sudden, after years of having no problems filing, now they claim my DOB doesnt match

After you file

This is an issue you need to take up with the SS office ...  you can try to efile this year however there is no guarantee that it will go thru this year either.