3434kirby

I received a letter from IRS- Notice CP49, that they applied my federal tax refund to a 2014 tax debt. This is the 1st time I've heard of this debt.

I'm a single mother with an average income. I've always gotten money back. I am wondering, why this is happening, and where do I begin investigating?

After you file

It would be helpful to review your 2014 tax return to see why an outstanding tax due may have resulted
From the IRS website, below is a link to a helpful explanation of the IRS CP49 letter and actions you can take to research and/or disagree with the IRS's action.
   https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-cp49-notice

After you file

I received a refund from IRS detailing i owe $1,205.38 from 2010. I was not working in 2010. I went to the federal building in down town Ft. Worth and filed idenity theft. I was not working in 2010 so how can i owe taxes from that year?

aleeciac35
Returning Member

After you file

Will I receive some money back?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

After you file

It really depends on your specific situation.   Here is some general information on IRS notices.  If you would like to provide some details regarding your situation, feel free to do so here, or you can start a new question and answer thread here.  

A notice is the IRS’s way of telling you they disagree with something on your tax return. You can learn more about IRS notices, including your specific notice, at the IRS website.  Our partner TaxAudit has a glossary with information about specific terms in your notice.

The IRS may tell you in a notice that they’re going to audit you or your business. If you’ve received an audit notice, review the IRS’s page on audits.  If you purchased MAX or Audit Defense when you filed your taxes with TurboTax, we’ll help you with your audit.

Respond promptly to any notice you receive. The IRS may consider the issue resolved (likely in their favor) if you don’t reply by the date in the notice.  The IRS will only contact you by mail. If someone demands payment from you by phone, they’re not from the IRS.

The different types of notices are:

• Automated adjustment notice – The IRS disagreed with something on your tax return and changed it.
  • Correspondence audit – The IRS wants to check something or get some additional documentation.
  • Office audit – The IRS wants to see you in their office to discuss part of your return.
  • Field audit – The IRS wants to send someone to review your income and expenses.

Automated adjustment notice

Correspondence audit

Office audit

Field audit

@aleeciac35

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
aleeciac35
Returning Member

After you file

Will I receive some money soon

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

After you file

What is the status of your tax return?  

Sign in to TurboTax to check your current status. You'll find it in Tax Home after sign in.

If you've got an Alexa device, you can enable it to check for you.

If you used TurboTax CD/Download you can check your e-file status by opening the File menu and selecting Check E-filing status or by opening your return, selecting the File tab, and selecting the Check E-file Status header.

Keep in mind:

• E-filing status is what stage of the process your return is in.
  • Refund status is when you can expect your refund. If that’s what you’re interested in, go to Where's My Refund?
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Busygal
Returning Member

After you file

I got one today... I had amended the return and it was fine... then I got the adjusted letter.  ??? I was advised to leave it as that or face alot of paperwork, time, effort and possibly legal fees to investigate. There are usually correct anyway.