Hyuuu
Returning Member

Federal tax credit for a hydrogen fuel car

Hi,

I’ve purchased a hydrogen fuel car 6/30/2021, and was supposed to get $8,000 tax credit at this tax refund. 

But I just got a little bit over $7,000 (maybe ~$7,100) at this time. Can I know the reason why? And can I get the rest of the credit at the next refund?

Thank you.

KochuK
Employee Tax Expert

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Hi Hyuuu,

Assume you used Form 8910 Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit to claim "Personal use part of credit" to offset tax liability. It will offset the tax liability to zero, but this is not a refundable credit.

Form 8910 line 15 instructions indicates "If you cannot use part of the personal portion of the credit because of the tax liability limit, the unused credit is lost. The unused personal portion of the credit cannot be carried back or forward to other tax years."

Hope the above helps.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hyuuu
Returning Member

Actually I meant "Fuel Cell Motor Vehicle Tax Credit", which was supposed to be $8,000 in my case.

Related link: Alternative Fuels Data Center: Fuel Cell Motor Vehicle Tax Credit (energy.gov)

But as I mentioned, I've had only ~$7,000 by using turbo tax. Please check it again. I don't think it is something about offset tax liability, I thought it is even closer to the refundable credit.

KochuK
Employee Tax Expert

Your US Dept. of Energy link indicates to use Form 8910. It also says up to $8,000 credit (to use as much to zero out tax liability.)

Recommend to contact TurboTax customer service so an tax expert can examine tax return with you.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/account-management/turbotax-phone-number...

Thanks.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"