RAMDA
Returning Member

Mixed Straddle K-1

My K-1 has a mixed straddle account which I am supposed to input into box 11 on my K-1, which is "Other Income". When I type the number in, which in this case is a gain, that does NOT flow thru as income to offset any other losses I have on the K-1. When I look at my worksheet, it seems to simply ignore the box 11 gain even though I typed it in as such. I believe it is understating my AGI and I cannot understand why TT won't flow this gain into K-1 income? I tried tech support and they didn't understand how to do it either. Please help. May have to re file prior years after seeing this.

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

line 11c on the k-1 flows to form 6781. assuming the missed straddle account election was made at the entity level nothing further needs to be done with this entry. 40% will flow to schedule d line 4 and 60% to schedule D line 11

RAMDA
Returning Member

That is NOT the case. It flowed nowhere. I agree it SHOULD flow there to 6781. Can you please tell me hwy I am not seeing this happen? Can you replicate it? I am so confused as to what to do here. This is a big error in TT from what I see.

RAMDA
Returning Member

To clarify, if I type -100,000 in box 1 (capital loss), and then type in +100,000 in box 11 (other income gain), my K-1 income will read -100,000 on my statement. Box 11 does not seem to be counted in the same way box1 is?

im not sure what you are doing. form 1065 k-1, part III,  line 1 is for ordinary loss (or income). capital losses are not entered on this line.  that should flow to schedule E page 2 unless you are subject to the passive loss limitation rules in which case line 1 first flows to form 8582 where it is determined whether there is a passive loss limitation. if there is only the allowed loss flows to schedule e page 2.

does the k-1 line 11 show the amount on line 11c?.  this is a must for it to flow to form 6781.   

if it's on 11a and line 4 (other portfolio income to be reported on schedule e page 2) in the additional info section. and there is no PAL limit for line 1 then both the $100K loss on line 1 and the $100K income on line  11a will flow to page 2 of schedule e. if the line 1 loss is not allowed due to PAL limits then only 11a will show up on schedule e page 2

if the income is on 11Ii and line 4 LTCG not portfolio income in the additional info section it will flow to schedule D line 10

if this is not what's happening you can wait for other replies, contact support or if all else fails see a tax pro.

we can't see your return

I don't know if you can allow support to actually see your return through screen share.

RAMDA
Returning Member

Thanks- let me go over this again and come back. I am NOT a passive investor. I do know that Box 1 needs to net with Box11.  My K-1 shows nothing in the box, but says to "see STMT".  There is no 11a or b or c. Just Line 11. When I look at that detail, it says "Mixed Straddle Account - SE income with a positive Gain. I enter that number into the box with the code my K-1 says.  It does say that this number needs to go to form 6781, so I would think it flows there as well. It does NOT flow to page 2 and in my example, it would just show -100k from box 1 and nothing from box 11.

this is extremely confusing. there is no tax law that requires line 1 to net with line 11 so I do not understand how you come by that 

I can't see your K-1. 

contact support or wait for other responders. in the end, you may need to see a tax pro.

box 11 has subcategories. one of those must be selected otherwise Turbotax will deem this an error  just 11 won't work

RAMDA
Returning Member

Yes. Sorry. I don't mean they have to net. I just mean that Both Box1 and Box11 should figure into my income. Literally the mixed straddle from box11 factored in nowhere and had no factor in AGI. Here is what I did as per my K-1: I put code I (other income) in Box11. Then I had 3 lines, one of which was a Mixed Straddle Account. The other 2 were very small numbers- 1 loss and 1 gain. I selected "other description" when asked to select what these 3 entries were. I then typed in each of the 3 entries and gave my own description as it read on the K-1. Again, the most significant was the mixed straddle account which was a gain.  that was how box 11 was done. The straddle number did nothing to my income and seemingly went nowhere. Maybe this was due to an error, but you tell me. It did not throw any error out. That number never flowed to the schedule E or 6781. Hope this makes sense.

RAMDA
Returning Member

After speaking to a CPA and going over this issue, he agrees that whatever was entered into TT, it was NOT accounted for on my return, resulting in a major problem. I can see the box 11 coded I for other income. It is on my return when I send it/print it. But the income does NOT do anything to account for it. Should be a gain, so now it's under reported. I wish there was some recourse here. This is a problem.

RAMDA
Returning Member

I will never recommend TT for anyone other than the most basic use. This error has cost me more than I wish to share, and it still exists. Cannot just have an income number ignored once it's typed in with a code. Maybe the code is not right in box 11? But still, it should at a MINIMUM default to regular income. Instead, it doesn't figure in at all which is far worse. 

If you enter K-1 Part III 11-i Other income, it will not flow anywhere because the program does not know what form it goes on.

If you use the Step-by-Step it will ask you about that amount ( Enter Code I Detail ) with several options, and you can choose one.

@RAMDA 

@RAMDA if you are using forms mode. then you should have seen on the k-1, a note below line 11 to use Quickzoom to enter additional info for code i. in the sub worksheet if you use line 6 the info goes nowhere. the instructions for the * require you to make a manual entry on the appropriate form or schedule. 

RAMDA
Returning Member

I just followed what TT told me to do. Yes, it asks for more info, and I type in what it says on my K-1. In any event, the software should never get to the end with an income number not being allocated anywhere or counted towards ANY income. On the check at the end it should tell you there is income not being represented correctly? Or at a minimum force it to counted as regular income- or else not let you finish the return and say ALL SET!! 100% guaranteed!

my guess is that it is the Turbotax programming.  if you are required to make a manual entry on some other form, Turbotax does not have the ability to check to see that this is in fact done.  it does even know what the appropriate form would be so for all it knows you may have already done it. There are other situations and forms that Turbotax can't handle.    I suggest the use of a pro in these situations. not only may an entry be required but an additional statement may also be required that is not handled by Turbotax.