File Taxes

Hello

I filed my 2020 taxes back in March. I received some stimulus.

Then I read that in order to get the rest of the stimulus I have file 2019 and 2018.

I have my W2's for those years.

I need some advice

Thank you

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

If you were eligible to receive the first two stimulus payments and did not receive those payments, the 2020 federal tax return you filed would have the Recovery Rebate Credit entered on the Form 1040 Line 30 for the payments you did Not receive.  The credit would be included in the federal tax refund or it would have reduced the taxes owed.  What is entered on your Form 1040 Line 30?

Filing a 2019 or 2018 tax return will not get you any further stimulus payments.  However, if you did not file a 2019 or 2018 tax return you should file for any tax refund owed or if federal taxes are owed for those tax years.

The third stimulus payment is Not included in 2020 federal tax return.  The third stimulus payment is being distributed by the IRS for those that are eligible based on the 2020 or 2019 tax returns that have been filed.

Go to this IRS website for the third stimulus payment information - https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

To complete and file a 2019 and 2018 tax return using TurboTax you would need to purchase, download and install on a personal computer one of the 2019 and 2018 desktop editions from this website - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

A 2019 and 2018 tax return can only be printed and mailed, they cannot be e-filed.  Use a separate envelope for each tax year being mailed.

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

How much Stimulus did you get?  Did you have an amount on your 2020 1040 line 30?   Line 30 should be for the first 2 Stimulus payments if you didn't get them or qualify for more.  You don't have to file 2018 or 2019 to get the missing stimulus.  You claim it on your 2020 return.  

The 1st round was 1,200 (2,400 married) and 500 for each dependent under 17.

The 2nd round was 600 per person.