dat22251

I have only Social Security. No other income or deductions. What is SC40 and why is it on my return and preventing me from electronic filing?

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Since you don't have to file a Federal tax return to the IRS with "only" SS income.

Then an Indiana tax return isn't required either.

.....then to get the "Unified Tax Credit for the Elderly"  from Indiana, you have to file the SC-40.....except that SC-40 can only be printed out and mail-filed.

So make absolutely sure that ALL of your entries are complete in the Federal section...error checked again...Go thru the Indiana interview again, and error checked.......and if there is no Federal e-file again, select the file-by-mail option for the State section....print out the forms and see if the SC-40 is there to sign/date and mail in to Indiana.  IF the SC-40 is not there, then it is available on the Indiana taxes website as a PDF file.

Note: Not exactly sure if the requirement is simply that a Federal e-file is not "required" (but can be done), or if it is Federal e-file is not allowed.  There is a subtle difference between the two.  You cannot e-file federal unless you have "some" other income, besides SS, that has been entered into your Federal tax return.

Even if you do have some other income, Indiana also has some other exemption $$ which result in an Indiana tax return not being required....and you would have to use the mail-in SC-40 again if those limits are not exceeded:

https://www.in.gov/dor/4746.htm

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
ramona330

i do have income just wanted to know if i qualified for this deduction and i need help filing form It-2440

ramona330

help filing form It-2440

Hal_Al
Level 15

You may qualify for the Indiana Disability Income deduction if you meet ALL of the following requirements:

• you were under age 65 on December 31 of the tax year for
which you are claiming the deduction;
• you retired on disability before December 31 of that year;
and
• you were permanently and totally disabled when you
retired.
If you qualify for the Indiana disability retirement deduction,
you may be eligible to subtract up to $5,200 a year of your
disability payments from your gross income. The amount
you subtract is limited to the amount of disability pay you actually received or $100 a week, whichever is less, and may
have to be reduced by part of your Federal Adjusted Gross
Income.
Your spouse may also be eligible to subtract up to $5,200 of
disability payments if you file a joint return and your spouse
meets all the above requirements.
Note: In no case may the total deduction be more than
$10,400 on a joint return.

In TurboTax, on the page titled Here's how Indiana handles income differently, scroll down to Disability retirement income (or some such wording)