BigRod

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Changing the Java heap does NOT solve the TT randomly closes issue.  Anyone else have an idea of what to try?!?

Someone with alias "Trevor" from TurboTax support just posted following comment on AMZN site in response to critical review about program crashing:

Quote:

----------------------------
I can understand the frustration, but rest assured we are investigating these crashes and we currently have a containment article published to our community. You can check that containment article for the latest information about workarounds and solutions. Know that we are investigating solutions and will provide any workarounds as they become available. I hope this helps and thank you for sharing your experience. 

- Trevor

Unquote.

Anyone know what is a "containment article" and have they posted a link to workarounds, other than yesterday's FAQ stating simply they are working on it?  Have they published any viable solutions?

Good luck to all,

GOTABBYGO,

I use Avast and Windows 10, and it crashes all the time.   An XP machine running in VMWare with low resources does not crash.

I absolutely don't believe for a moment it is related to AV.   Intuit asking end-users to remove their AV is irresponsible. 

Thanks for the information Lorob1.  I’m not familiar with containment articles and a quick search didn’t turn anything up.  It’s good to know though that TTax is acknowledging the issue and working on it.

GOTABBYGO, I don’t think you’re suggesting that that those of us in the minority who cannot get TTax to work are just out of luck and we need to suck it up but it sure sounds that way.  I suggest you show a bit more respect for the collective wisdom of this group and engage in helping solve the issue rather that relying on the age old service tech level 1 excuse of it must be AV.  I myself have over 40 years of experience working with computers and much of it associated with desktops.  I’ve also owned personal computers of many types since the C64 was released.  Please try harder to be more of the solution.

There are now multiple threads running on this issue.  No fixes or "workarounds" have yet been posted (other than  reduce your machine to bare metal and start over w/o AV - which doesn't work).

<https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4572603-turbotax-premier-on-windows-10-pro-1809-is-constantly-rand...>

<https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4584656-i-have-turbotax-2018-deluxe-and-it-keeps-crashing>

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/Get-your-taxes-done-using-TurboTax/TurboTax-Deluxe-2018-crashes-co...

Good luck to all

H&R block and Tax Act can import the previous year (2017) tax returns from TurboTax.  Does anyone know if they can also import the current year (2018),  as I have spent hours creating...   Tired of not being able to file and not get my biggly refund.

Christophe,

I have no experience with either of those products but I’m interested in the answers to your questions.

I would like to strongly suggest that everyone having this problem call Intuit and request RETURN AUTHORIZATION (on the CD version, that is).  I intend to return my software (even though they make it SUPER inconvenient, and I need to call them back and demand that they pay shipping).  The more people do that, the more they'll take notice.

Looks like I'm doing my taxes the old fashioned way, this year .

GabiU
Level 15

There are many factors that could influence the TurboTax program to crash. 

1. Please make sure you're connected to the internet in order to ensure software updates and full functionality of your TurboTax program.

2. Confirm you meet the system requirements for Mac. Confirm you meet the system requirements for Windows.

a. To install and update software on Windows, you need Administrations Rights.

3. The next variable to keep in mind is the antivirus and firewall software programs on your device.

a. Uninstall TurboTax.

b. Disable antivirus and firewall software programs before reinstalling.

c. Reinstall TurboTax.  

d. Re-enable antivirus and firewall after installing. (You don't have to disable them when using the program itself, only during installation.)

4. Manually update TurboTax.

If you are still experiencing issues within the program, please sign up in this Containment Article to receive updates on the error.
Thank you!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It is pretty pathetic for Intuit to post their standard tier 0 answer for any TurboTax issue.  If Intuit were to only to read the post, they would know that this is an application issue and out of memory bug.  

same here. It is the software

Are you maximizing the TT screen? Mine was crashing, as well. So I opened the software, kept it at its original window and it stopped crashing. Not sure if that helps. Good luck.

I'm running TurboTax Premier 2018 on a Windows 10 up-to-date 64 bit O/S.  When I attempt to import information from a broker, in my case Schwab, it just crashes hard and it is repeatable.  My work around is to hand key everything making the software nearly useless.  If you cannot fix this Intuit, you should refund the purchases.  I'd be happy to join a class action suit for negligence.  I have not seen any software behave this badly in several years. - Brian McDonald

rogelio32 amazingly and bizarrely this is working so far for me. I'm now doing my taxes is a small box rather than on my full big laptop screen 🙃