Do i enter last years refund as income?

I got 1,699 refund last year. Does that need to be entered anywhere? 

It is income I have to pay tax on this year?

HelenaC

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

No, your 2015 federal income tax refund does not need to be claimed on your 2016 income tax return.

However, you may have to claim your 2015 state income tax refund on your 2016 federal income tax return. 

You’ll enter this info in the Federal section of TurboTax, and we’ll automatically add it to your state return if appropriate.

1. With your return open in TurboTax, search for 1099-G or 1099-g and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
    • Important! Make sure to include the dash in your search, or you'll end up on the unemployment/paid family leave screen.
  2. On the Did you have any of these types of income? screen, answer Yes.
  3. On the next screen, select State or local income tax refunds and click Continue.
  4. Follow the onscreen instructions to enter your state/locality, refund amount, and tax year.

After you enter the amount from your 1099-G turbo tax then asks for all of your payments and withholdings from that year. Is that line 19 or line 20 from Form 104 the year before? 

PattiF
Expert Alumni

If you have a 1099-G that shows a refund for state or local taxes, you need to check if you included the state and local taxes in your deduction from income. Most people use the standard deduction, but occasionally the itemized deduction amount is higher. To determine if you used the state and local taxes as a deduction in last year's return, check the following items:

Look at your 2020 1040 line 12. Did you take the Standard Deduction or Itemize? 

If you took the Standard Deduction, the 1099-G is NOT taxable, it is NOT reported. 

If you Itemized, look at your 2020 Schedule A. Did you claim State Income Tax or State Sales Tax? Is Box 5a checked on the 2020 Schedule A?

If Box 5a on the Schedule A IS checked, you claimed State Sales tax (not State Income Tax) and the state refund is NOT taxable, it is NOT reported. 

If Box 5a on the Schedule A IS NOT checked, you claimed State Income Tax and the state refund MAY BE taxable. 

Use the amount listed on Schedule A, line 5d as total taxes paid.

If TurboTax is asking about entries for the Refund Worksheet:

Item Q line 1 is found on the previous year’s Schedule A, line 5b

Item Q line 2 is found on the previous year’s Schedule A, line 5c

@snoflake22

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dwasmi1

I’m doing a 2022 what is going on here I need support. Help please 

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

It would be best to contact us by phone by following the instructions here. @Dwasmi1

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"