I m file a 1099misc research study, paid in cash. why do they keep asking me for a EIN. I don't have one.

I tried my social security number and it come back stating I need a EIN

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Ok ... if you do not have a 1099 then stop trying to use the 1099 input screen ... instead skip that screen and put the income on the next screen under Additional income. 

However, if you are not in the business of being a test patient, then you can put the income on line 21 of the Sch 1...

·         Click the Federal Taxes tab ( Personal in the Home & Business version)

·         Click Wages & Income. (Personal income in the H & B version)

·         On the screen "Your 2018 Income Summary," scroll all the way down to the last section, "Less Common Income."

·         Click the Start or Update button for the last topic, "Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C."

·         On the next screen, "Let's Work on Any Miscellaneous Income," scroll down and click the Start or Update button for the last topic, "Other reportable income."

·         The next screen asks, "Did you receive any other taxable income." Click Yes.

·         On the next screen, "Other Taxable Income," enter a description and the amount. Click Continue.

·         On the next screen click Done.

The income will be reported on Sch 1 line 21 with the description that you entered.