ColleenH1962
Returning Member

Dependants Stimulus?

Hello I have a question.  I plan to file taxes hrough turbotax again this year, only I have a few questions.   My daughter used to be a dependant of me but now that she makes her own money this years taxes i no longer can claim her.   I got a stimulus for her last year based off my 2020 tax return.  When I file a tax return for us, do I still claim she received a stimulus in her own taxes as well or do I only claim on my taxes that I got it? 

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Before the discussion about stimulus money to you or your daughter----provide some details.    You say she "makes her own money"----but you have not told us how old she is or whether she was a full-time student in 2021.   Can you tell us about that?   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
ColleenH1962
Returning Member

She was not a full time student this past year, she ended up getting a job of her own and now makes more than I do myself.   She made less than 2500 in 2020, now she has nearly 10x that this past year.  So I am now filing separate tax return for herself and not claiming her as well as she is now 24 as well.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You got the stimulus payment. Your daughter didn't get it. On your own tax return you tell TurboTax how much you received. On your daughter's tax return she tells TurboTax that she did not receive a stimulus payment, because she didn't. Since you cannot claim her as a dependent for 2021, she will get a Recovery Rebate Credit on her 2021 tax return, even though you got a payment for her as a dependent. That's okay.

ColleenH1962
Returning Member

I just wanted to make sure before i actually file them thank you!

Thanks---we need to know those details---sometimes teenagers get after school jobs and parents are confused as to whether they can still claim them as dependents.    Okay----she can file her own tax return and get the 3rd stimulus as a recovery rebate credit on her own return.

You will not enter anything about your daughter on your own return---not her name, SSN, nothing.  You will get a letter from the IRS soon that shows how much of the 3rd stimulus you received.   The IRS sent you the $1400 because you claimed her as a dependent on your 2020 return, and that is okay.   You do not have to pay that money back.  But you do have to enter the amount that is shown on that letter when you prepare your 2021 return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**