Responsible party for EIN for paying in home caregivers for my mother

I am hiring a private caregiver for my mother so I have to get set up to pay a household employee.  The caregiver will be  working in my mother's home and will be paid with my mother's money.  My mother has late stage dementia and I am poa.

I am applying for an EIN.  I want to use my mother's social security number and name to sign up for the EIN. I spoke to a payroll service and they told me that was fine and I had to do it that way because the care is in my mother's home.  However, in reading the instructions for EIN, the 'responsible party' has to sign up for the EIN.  I will be handling everything - doesn't that make me the responsible party? 

I really want to use my mother's information and report all of this on her taxes.

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

When using a POA you are conducting business for your mom on her behalf  ... use her SS# so it will be linked to her tax return not yours. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

"Responsible party" means the person who is responsible for a corporation or other business entity, an organization, or a trust. It doesn't mean someone with a POA acting on behalf of another person.

OK.  So when filling out the application for EIN, I must select that am a third party applying on behalf of my mother. I just saw that option now as I am going through the application.