videobear

What is TurboTax Error 190

Occurs when I open TT and try to download state software

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

You are trying to open a taxfile that has a state that is not on your desktop.

1. Select Start a New Return.
  2. Go to your State Taxes tab.
  3. Download the states you need.
    • There may be a fee if you need more than one state or your version of TurboTax does not include one free state download.
  4. Close TurboTax.
  5. Reopen TurboTax.
  6. Open the file that generated the error.

What if State tax is not applicable. I am getting an endless error 190 because my state is Tennessee and I dont have any applicable state 

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

To resolve Error 190, please see the TurboTax FAQ below:

Error 190 when opening file in TurboTax CD/Download

@sayarbai 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi CassLO, thanks for ur response,  I do not have a State tax  because Tenessee does not have State tax. The following is not applicable to me. How do  I by pass that.

1. Download the states you need
    • There may be a fee if you need more than one state or your version of TurboTax does not include one free state download
CassLO
Intuit Alumni

Please trying clearing the State software by following the instructions in the link below:

How do I clear my state return in the TurboTax for Windows software?

If the issue persists, please reach out to our TurboTax Customer Care team for additional assistance: Contact Us 

@sayarbai 

1. The desktop software gets into a vicious circle and does not allow me to even open anything to see if I can delete state tax.

2. Turbo online gives me direction only to use desktop version.

Bottom line, step 1 of  the instructions does not even kick start for me to proceed and delete tax return I will use the contact link. I had purchased premier software all these years. thanks for trying

1. Does expert help phone nbr involve an additional cost? I already paid for the premier software ?

2.Is it possible to delete my 2020 amendment completely (since anyways it is rejected by IRS) so that I can start afresh? 

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

Depending on which version you are using, TurboTax Live is available for TurboTax Online customers only. TurboTax Live isn't available in the TurboTax CD/Download software. For more information, please see the links below:

To cancel a amended return please see the instructions below:

@sayarbai 

Thanks for ur response. I really do not need a tax expert advice. I need advice on how to get the software working for my amendment. This link seems to be expert tax advice which I do not need.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

When you complete an amendment, it overrides the original return. So there would be no way to delete the 202 amended return and start fresh, since you already filed a normal 2020 return. 

If you have already purchased Turbo Tax software, it would not cost anything to speak with an agent. @sayarbai 

brlanger

Does not work!  I have tried multiple times to do this and it still will not allow me to open the file becuase it tells me theforms need to be updated.