KJSkibum1
Returning Member

Where is unemployment tax refund.

My wife on my taxes had unemployment and we paid taxes on it. I also helped my children with their simple returns and paid taxes on their unemployment. I thought they would get the refund for those taxes that we paid by now. What is happening? There seems to be no way to see what is going on. I wish TurboTax would be more proactive about this and give us a clue if we overpaid and deserve a refund. 

Michele_H
Employee Tax Expert

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Hi @KJSkibum1 I know this can be frustrating, but this is a common issue with the unemployment exclusion at this time.   First if have you checked to see if you qualify for the exclusion?   If you do qualify,  and you have not checked to see if the return needs to be amended, I would suggest checking this first, by having a tax expert go over this with you or by going over the link listed below and see if you need to amend yours or your children's taxes.   There are certain situations in which an amendment would need to be processed.   I hope this information helps!

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-continues-unemployment-compensation-adjustments-prepares-another-1-...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
KJSkibum1
Returning Member

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Honestly, it really seems like TurboTax has dropped the ball on this. The system should tell me if I need to make an ammendment and whether not I should expect any new refund based on my kids submissions. In our own taxes, I actually wasn't able to submit through TurboTax bec someone had fraudulently submitted a return through TurboTax in my name before me. That was another situation where TurboTax really failed me, because the submission was from a new mailing address, but they failed to contact me to ask if this made sense before allowing the fraudulent submission.