Refund for 10200 unemployment exemption

We filed joint return in early Feb, we both got separate letters saying we'll get refund on the 10200.00

Only received 1040.00 + interest. Will there be another 1040.00 refund coming? The 1040.00 we received was only for 1 person on joint return. Both letters from irs said 1040.00, shouldn't that amount be doubled since joint filing? 

SoCalGal21
Employee Tax Expert

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Hi  Debibell316!  The IRS always send a copy of a letter to both spouses who file together reporting the whole amount.  So sadly, your refund is not doubled.   

You can double check the IRS math on your return, the untaxed unemployment will be correct in the return now.  You can select getting a .pdf copy of your return to look at that. 

You can also setup an IRS account here:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-online-account-can-help-taxpayers-get-ready-to-file-their-tax-retur...

You can view any payments sent out by the IRS here, adjustments to your tax return, etc.

If you still think there is something wrong with your return, contact TurboTax Live Support to look at your return with you.   Let me know if this answers  your question.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

That makes no sense to us, being that the amt exempt waa to be double on joint return.  Oh well, government once again lying to us and keeping more than they should. Everything I saw avg refund on the 10200.00 was 1068.00. We didn't quite get to the 20400.00 i. Unemployment compensation but was a bit over 19000.00.

Refund still should have been higher than 1040.00.  Being a joint return, think the whole amt should have been exempt. 

SoCalGal21
Employee Tax Expert

Hi Debibell316 - The amount of tax is based on all of your taxable income, not just the unemployment.  So there will be different results for different situations.  

It pays to double check the numbers. Why don't you try TurboTax Live Support and have them review the return with you?  They are open 5am - 5pm PT Monday - Friday right now.  Just click on the Live Help guy in the lower right corner of your account.

In anything this large setup this fast, there are bound to be some errors.  And there are definitely delays.  That's why I suggest setting up IRS accounts for each of you, to see if there is any new money coming your way.  It takes days for the IRS refunds to be processed.  It will show up in your IRS account before it shows up in your bank account or a check mailed to you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"